Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy way to add countour/elevation lines

Quote Originally Posted by redleg7 View Post
    Battle Command? The MAK sim?
    No, this one is by Historical Software.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    You did look at the Fun With Wilbur set of tutorials, correct?....
    Rgr I did, and I was able to do a few neat things with it, in fact I think I emailed you about how I was using it. I intend to experiment with it even more, I'm swamped with creating maps at the moment for some upcoming exercises. I like those contour linesin your attachment, is there a way to "round" those mountains so they look more like rolling hills? The neat thing about creating maps my own maps is the ability to create terrain decisions of my choosing. For example putting one hill within small arms range of an objective and another hill that's not. Or creating two bridges where one is in fairly open terrain and the other is easily accessible from a wooded area that provides good cover and concealment. This is one of the biggest reasons we do not use any kind of imagery or real piece of "dirt". In most cases I want to create a terrain problem that has one good answer and one bad answer. For more advanced audiences I may create terrain problems that have many shades of right or wrong depending on the situation.

I think Wilbur has some great potential, I just need to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Syt View Post
    No, this one is by Historical Software.
    Rgr, Mike Pelosi no relation to Nancy. It's a good game but very detailed, learning curve is somewhat steep.

Guild Novice

Not sure if this is what you are asking for or not, but if you have the height map/greyscale image then this might sufffice:

(Quick and dirty for the moment until I get a cahnce to document it properly - Works in either PS or GIMP)

1. Posterize your image (number of levels determines how many contour lines you want) - You can create/duplicate new layers etc here as you wish.
    2a. In Gimp Filter > Edge-Detect > Edge (then you can play about with the setting until it looks ok.
    2b. In Photoshop Filter > Stylize > Find Edges

Then you can mess with the contour line layer, stroke or blend it with another layer to get your desired effect. You do get double lines where it detects the lower and upper edges. I imagine there are ways around it, and a more adept PS person may be able to help out here. Personally I liked the GIMP effort myself.

As I say, I will try and get a more detailed tutorial here soon.
    Last edited by MitchPjm; 01-29-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo and submitted before it was complely edited

Guild Novice

Default Contour Images created in GIMP

Here is the before and after done in GIMP.

And the final one is a Hypsometric rendering from link
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heightmap.jpg 
Views:	3902 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	21556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contouredheightmap.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	948.1 KB 
ID:	21557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumpmapped.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	21563  
    Last edited by MitchPjm; 01-29-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Wow great technique. I tried it for the first time this morning.

Here are the results. Sorry for the really late reply, I finally have a requirement to do a campaign map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khanid elevation&#32.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	23906

Quote Originally Posted by MitchPjm View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are asking for or not, but if you have the height map/greyscale image then this might sufffice:

(Quick and dirty for the moment until I get a cahnce to document it properly - Works in either PS or GIMP)

1. Posterize your image (number of levels determines how many contour lines you want) - You can create/duplicate new layers etc here as you wish.
    2a. In Gimp Filter > Edge-Detect > Edge (then you can play about with the setting until it looks ok.
    2b. In Photoshop Filter > Stylize > Find Edges

Then you can mess with the contour line layer, stroke or blend it with another layer to get your desired effect. You do get double lines where it detects the lower and upper edges. I imagine there are ways around it, and a more adept PS person may be able to help out here. Personally I liked the GIMP effort myself.

As I say, I will try and get a more detailed tutorial here soon.

Guild Novice

Since I have just been playing with Wilbur, I subsequently found that it has the ability to generate a contour map of a height map/greyscale image. This can then be saved as an image, loaded into your drawing tool as an image and blended onto the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heightmap.png 
Views:	2539 
Size:	447.9 KB 
ID:	37179 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContourMap.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	37177 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IslandZoom_1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	37176

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12