Thread: The Edhen Peninsula

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

Map The Edhen Peninsula

I finished my first ever digital map today. It was a lot of fun to make, and took a little over 8 hours total over 5 days. The results are encouraging enough to convince me to by that Wacom tablet I've been eyeing

Here's the WIP thread: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=35586

And here's the finished map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-final.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	88020
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Firstly, well done on your first digital map!

I like the colour palettte you've got here and your mountain style has a nice look to it. The whole map is has a nice vibe about it, vaguely Tolkien-esque too.

A couple of quick pointers. Not sure why "Arrin Desert" is blurry? Also, your border has some white edging around it on a couple of the side, which makes it look a bit off, so if you can fix those, it would help a bit. The image is also quite small.

Nonetheless, it's a great first effort at a digital piece. Keep it up and with the skills you've demonstrated here, along with that potential new tablet, you'll be amazed at how quickly your work develops!

Guild Expert

Congratulations on completing you're first map. The colours are really nice. Like GLS said, the image is pretty small, maybe try increasing the size on the next one, I don't do anything smaller then 3000 pixels across, but I guess it all depends on what you're computer can handle. I hope you don't mind, but I have a little nit pick, I find the coast line a little heavy, maybe try a smaller brush next time around. I think you'll really enjoy working with a tablet, might take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll find it improves you're work, good job doing this with a mouse, that's very difficult. Can't wait to see you're second map, good job so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartography Dragon View Post
    I finished my first ever digital map today. It was a lot of fun to make, and took a little over 8 hours total over 5 days. The results are encouraging enough to convince me to by that Wacom tablet I've been eyeing

Here's the WIP thread: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=35586

And here's the finished map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-final.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	88020

Go for it!, best purchase I've made in a while I got a wacom pen & touch medium (never use the touch)

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Congratulations on completing you're first map. The colours are really nice. Like GLS said, the image is pretty small, maybe try increasing the size on the next one, I don't do anything smaller then 3000 pixels across, but I guess it all depends on what you're computer can handle. I hope you don't mind, but I have a little nit pick, I find the coast line a little heavy, maybe try a smaller brush next time around. I think you'll really enjoy working with a tablet, might take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll find it improves you're work, good job doing this with a mouse, that's very difficult. Can't wait to see you're second map, good job so far.
    Thank you! Yeah, it is a little small. I wasn't really sure how much space I would need, so I started with 800x600, and ended up shaving off an accidentally added grey border. The final image is only around 700x500, I think. I agree about the coastline, it was looking pixelated so I drew over it. That's probably why it's so thick.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Go for it!, best purchase I've made in a while I got a Wacom pen & touch medium (never use the touch)
    Thanks! Yeah, I was really excited to find a good one in my price range, I will be buying it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Firstly, well done on your first digital map!

I like the colour palettte you've got here and your mountain style has a nice look to it. The whole map is has a nice vibe about it, vaguely Tolkien-esque too.

A couple of quick pointers. Not sure why "Arrin Desert" is blurry? Also, your border has some white edging around it on a couple of the side, which makes it look a bit off, so if you can fix those, it would help a bit. The image is also quite small.

Nonetheless, it's a great first effort at a digital piece. Keep it up and with the skills you've demonstrated here, along with that potential new tablet, you'll be amazed at how quickly your work develops!
    Thanks! I'm a massive Tolkien fan, so that's music to my ears I honestly can't figure out why the label for the Arrin Desert is blurry. My best guess is that I accidentally changed some setting, then changed it back. Not quite sure what happened with the edging, I exported image instead of taking a screenshot and cropping it.

Thank you all for the kind words, the rep is much appreciated too! I look forward to improving my skills and getting that tablet. Working with a mouse is... not great.

Congrats on your first map, CD! It turned out great, and I love those mountains. I think you'll find the tablet to be a huge benefit to you once you get used to it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Congrats on your first map, CD! It turned out great, and I love those mountains. I think you'll find the tablet to be a huge benefit to you once you get used to it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.
    Thanks! The mountains are my favorite part of this map, they turned out much better then I had hoped. I'm very excited about the tablet, hopefully I'll be able to acquire it within a week.