Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Map: Ascension(ish) Style!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip First Map: Ascension(ish) Style!

Hello all,

I am nearing the final stages of my first map (still have to add town/region names etc.). This is a map of Eriond, a world I created to use as a campaign setting for D&D. The map was done completely using GIMP. Save for a few stylized deviations, I followed Gidde's GIMP conversion tutorial of Ascension's Atlas Style (a link to which may be found here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4084-[Award-Winner]-My-atlas-style-in-PS/page15

I owe allot of gratitude to both Ascension and Gidde. Before beginning this project, I had exactly 0 knowledge of GIMP, Photoshop, or any other map-making software for that matter. Yet due to their excellent tutorials, GIMP's user manual, and allot of trial and error, I managed to learn enough to create this map. Thanks you guys.

Cheers,

Arsheesh

P.S. Corrective feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty good. I think the Gimp clouds might make nicer mountains than PS clouds...maybe, but I'm biased Your forests could use a bit of darker green to help differentiate them from the ground a bit more but otherwise it looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh I like that map... it turned out really nice. I think I might agree with Ascension the gimp clouds add something that is not there on the PS ones.. I wonder if there is something that can be blended to get that look....

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This looks cool! Glad you found the translation useful The only thing I'd suggest is maybe toning down the bumps a bit in your ocean, it's a tad overpowering. All in all though, great job!

Default Slight Modifications

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ascension, Gidde, as per your advice I have darkened both the forests and the oceans a bit, whilst simultaneously lightening up some of the darker spots within the land. I've also tried to blend the rivers into the oceans, so as to make for a smooth transition. It might be a day or two before I'm able to add city, town and topographical names. Here are the two versions compared side by side:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are some other Cloud Generators you can download for PS. I have one but I can't remember where I got it

Not sure if the clouds it creates are any better than the default tho...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the one on the right with darker forests.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed, those forests look great. The sea bed still looks a little too defined for me, but that's a pretty minor nitpick. Lookin good!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension & Gidde on the forests - looks good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

arsheesh, very nice looking map. May i ask you how you did those forests? I checked the tuts by Ascension and the GIMP translation by Gidde, but there was no mention of forests.

Thanks,
    -sc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast