Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hestia Revisited [WIP Fantasy Map]

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Forests look fine to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I couldn't help myself from spending the night turning out another WIP...I gave the forests a second try and came up with the style I will be sticking to. With all of the terrain features out of the way I am well on my way towards finishing this map up. New for this version are the changed forests, some shifts in the mountainous terrain and a boat load of new labels, including all the islands and a variety of new cities, towns, etc.

Hestia as of 1/25/2010

Last edited by ExMachina; 01-27-2010 at 02:08 PM.

I haven't gotten much feedback unfortunately, but I'm still plugging away at the map and posting a WIP in the hopes that I do get some good, constructive commentary.

The big addition this time around is that I've added tributaries to all the rivers to make them look more exciting and to emulate how rivers are seen from space...I may add tributaries to the tributaries if the River Police choose not to find me in violation of the laws of nature. I also made the river estuaries more pronounced. Other then that I've continued to add many, many new labels...I think you'll be able to tell that my inspiration here is very British.

Hestia as of 1/27/2010

The rivers look really cool with those tributaries on them

I tried to find something to criticize for you, but I couldn't.... Sorry!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Agreed, nothing much to say other than lookin really sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

wow, didnt know the daughter of Cronus and Rhea already wore Hestia in those days ... anyway, I think the map is looking very good! Some minor C&C: the box in the lower-left with the names (dont remember how to call it) could use a different back color then brown to make it stand out more. The -very nice- compass rose is a bit too white bright in my opinion. As for geographic stuff -i'm not an expert- i would expect some forest or rivers on the west side of the mountains on eastern island (the island looks a bit empty and if i'm correct seawinds would blow in and cause rainfalls on that side of the mountains). cheers

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice...well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is just a fantastic piece! I admire how clean and crisp your map is. You have chosen a simple yet attractive color palette, and have used a clear white font that easily stands out against that palette, making for a readable, accessible, and aesthetically appealing layout. In fact I'm a bit envious myself-the map I'm currently working on is not nearly so clean! Here's some Rep for doing such a great job.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I'm almost finished with the map, for the most part I'm just obsessing over minor details now. I went ahead and made the compass rose less white and roughed it up a bit, I'm not sure what color to change the cartouche to...I tried a few brighter colors but nothing really struck me. As for the eastern island (now named the Isle of Sere, pronounced "sear") I've fleshed it out...with a volcano and some barren land. Since this map is serving as the base for future writing, the geography of the island is therefore not meant to be totally realistic.

Not much left to do, after this probably one more WIP and then off to the Finished Maps section...

Hestia as of 1/29/2010

Hey I've got a question for you. How did you create the map scale just below your map key? I'm working with GIMP and am trying to figure out how to create a scale for my map. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast