Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hestia Revisited [WIP Fantasy Map]

great map! this is getting better and better. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hey I've got a question for you. How did you create the map scale just below your map key? I'm working with GIMP and am trying to figure out how to create a scale for my map. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh
    I was away for the weekend so I didn't get a chance to respond.

The scale isn't too difficult to make...essentially I used the selection tool to select the width of one of my gridlines, then copied it and opened up a new document to see how long it was (Photoshop will automatically make the size of a new document the size of the image on the clipboard). I then went back to my map, made a rectangle that was that length and filled it with white. I then cut the selection in half both lengthwise and widthwise and made the first black rectangle on the right, then just keep cutting the length in half and alternating between having the black on the top and the bottom. I merged all of it together then applied a subtle bevel and a 1px black stroke.

I hope that makes sense, I'm atrocious at giving written directions.

Hey ExMachina, thanks for responding to my query. With the help of some other guild members I managed to figure out how to do a scale in a manner similar to what you've described. By the way, I have to agree with Djekspek, I've enjoyed watching your map mature, it's a beautiful piece (I like the names that you came up with allot to).

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Excellent map, man. I don't really have much to say beyond that; there's nothing to criticize!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123