Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hestia Revisited [WIP Fantasy Map]

Wip Hestia Revisited [WIP Fantasy Map]

Some of you may remember me from a few months back when I started work on a map by the same name shortly after joining the Guild, it quickly fell by the way side however as I became busy with other matters and lost interest in the map itself. After some time, I've decided to jump right back into the art of digital cartography. I spent hours laboring of Alpha maps that amounted to nothing because I didn't like the shape, etc. Therefore I decided to start off with my old Alpha for Hestia and start from there, but head in a different direction.

The style I'm going for is at some points an antique map and at others a satellite view. I've scoured just about every tutorial here but I'm hoping to create something that is ultimately of my own styling.

Hestia as of 1/20/2010

I would appreciate all comments, both positive and negative.

I would also like to hear some ideas as to where you guys think mountains, rivers, etc. should go on the mainland before I dive into that as I myself do not have the expertise of the river police. I'm also curious what people think of how I've applied the terrain. More to come soon I hope!
    Last edited by ExMachina; 02-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Just a side note, and seriously don't take this the wrong way...
    The name Hestia is a brand of women's underwear, they turn up in those "We're having a sale on xxxx" ads on TV... just didn't know if we want a world with a name that matches a bra-company.

[/random aside]
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hestia
    Which do you think came first?

http://www.pacificbrands.com.au/Unde...ry/Default.asp
    Notice the "Pacific" part?
    -

Anyway, I love the shape of the land, and everything else really. I'd think about adding a border around the landmasses, though.
    Last edited by Daelin; 01-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Daelin, didn't say the Greek Mythology didn't come first... just more of the cross link.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I was not aware of the correlation, however I think most will associate with the Greek Goddess first. Nothing is set in stone at the moment so I'm sure it'll change. I also thank you for your kind words Daelin, I went ahead and added a very subtle border to the landmasses.

For this version I've finished painting the terrain and adding the mountain ranges, I'm still struggling with how to go about making my rivers...I've also toyed with placemarkers, names, roads, etc.

Hestia as of 1/21/2010

Originally the B1 bomber was called the Excalibur. Apparently this was the name of a brand of condoms, so the USAF promptly renamed it after some aviators(with a mental age of about 13; higher than average)cracked jokes about the name. It is now the B-1B Trojan!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

And the point I was making with the second link is that, from what I can tell, the brand has no market outside Australia, which is probably where Juggernaut is from. It might be that some Aussies are making the association, but the rest of us aren't. I wasn't even thinking of Greek mythology 'till I looked it up on Wikipedia, and was reminded that I actually knew about the goddess, and then I started thinking where I knew that from and realized it was from a PC game called Zeus: Master of Olympus, which I, in my wee teen years, borrowed at the local library and the CD - believe it or not - exploded in my disk drive and I had to pay fee, which my dad paid for me, because, well, I was 13, but you know I always liked going to the library with my dad, we always had such good ti...

You see what I mean?
    -

I like how this map is developing. The southwestern mountains separating the desert and plain regions really create a sense of how big the world is. But I don't think it'd hurt if the border was even more pronounced. I don't know if it would fit with your overall style, but I'll let you decide on that. Keep it up.

Well let's not get too caught up on names and what not!

Here's the third WIP showing what I was able to put into the map today...I've reworked the placemarkers and provided a key as well as a compass rose, I've also managed to tackle rivers in a style that pleases me. If there's something wrong with the way the rivers flow please say something. There's also now very subtle waves added to the coastlines, difficult to spot but they certainly add a bit of character. The final remaining road block as far as terrain goes is making forests, I've tried a myriad of tutorials and I'm still stumped. Input here would be the most valuable.

Hestia as of 1/22/2010

Last edited by ExMachina; 01-22-2010 at 01:39 AM.

If you can't figure out how to represent forests yourself (seems to be hard for most folks!), there are several good brushes and other goodies in the Mapping Elements board in the Mapping Resources section of the forum. It looks great so far--I like that your city markers and roads aren't too bold--they work with the map rather than against it.

I wasn't really able to find anything in the resources section, but I went ahead anyway and tried something of my own design for the forests. I don't think my forest style is quite there yet but I'd like some member input before I try a second pass on them...

Hestia as of 1/24/2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast