Thread: Morgau and Doresh for Kobold Quarterly and Open Design

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Map Morgau and Doresh for Kobold Quarterly and Open Design

Here's a map created for Open Design's Imperial Gazeteer. It shows the region of Morgau and Doresh and appeared on the back cover of Kobold Quarterly 11. I've inverted the text from that version as it proved a little tricky to read.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MorgauDoreshSmall.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	21214

This image is rights reserved. The large version (full letter size at 300dpi) appears in KQ11. This is a downsized version.

Wow, that's a very nice map. Are those mountains done by hand or are they computer generated in some way? I didn't realize you were an industry professional. I stopped by your fantastic maps site to check out your other works and I really love your style. Keep up the good work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sweet, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The mountains are done by hand. They're done using a soft light layer for the overall light and shade (using a white and black brush respectively) and another soft light layer for details where the same method is used to give the sharp highlights and texture to them. The background is a parchment texture that gives and overall unifying texture to the whole map.

@Ascension and SG: Thanks! It's nice to finally be able to post some of this stuff