Thread: DnD Campaign Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip DnD Campaign Map

I have tried a couple different tutorials from these forums and when it comes right down to it I am challenged when it comes to color coordination. The extreme color problems were constantly getting noticed by my not so color challenged wife. So I decided to go with a non color style. The mountain brushes were helpful with this style as well as the hand drawn cities and towns from Ramah. Anyways I was looking for some feed back in case even this non colored map had some issues.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RahnumValley.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	21288

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This map does have issues...it appears to be suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Kidding There are two things that grab my eye. One, it could be bigger but that's really no big deal. Two, you need to break up your forests because there are some obvious stripes running across...not your fault, though, it's in the pattern. Otherwise it looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for taking a look. Yeah I know the forest pattern is pretty obvious. I was looking for some good hill brushes like the mountain ones to break up my forests but I can't find them if they're even available.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If these are the Ramah brushes (they look like it) then there should be plenty of hills in the thread where you got the mountain brushes from, page 2 or 3, I think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think the map looks really nice--especially for a campaign handout. The sepia tones make it look more authentic. However, your labels (they're in the font Papyrus, right?) are somewhat difficult to read as you get down to small cities: Dessron looks like 'D' followed by a smear of consonants and then 'on'. Maybe try a font that has capitals a more similar height to the lowercase letters? Those tend to scale down with better readability.

Thanks for the input about the font. Here is an update with hills added to break up my forest pattern and a new font. The forests still have some straight edges I have to attend to but here is a rough estimate of where its at now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RahnumValley2.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	21302