Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first CC3 Map, very Much WIP - Bloodcloth Island

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Wip My first CC3 Map, very Much WIP - Bloodcloth Island

Since Joining the Guild, I have felt that I had to show off a map in progress for criticism (or else I would do the same mistake over and over)
    So here is my take on a small bit of land from my DND world, under the working title of Bloodcloth Island.
    Enjoy (as much as you can)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World2.JPG 
Views:	1094 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	21318  

Good Job so far. ekep it up!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can dig it. You resisted the urge to put in every type of icon available and restraint is a good thing. Looks well laid out and natural (well Dragon Jaw has a reason for being the way it is so that's cool). Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks to both of you

Love it.

Looks like it was fun to do as well. Did you watch or read any tutorials? If so, do you have some links?

Yes, I used Joseph Sweeneys tutorials at the profantasy site http://profantasy.com/community/cc3_tutorials.asp

Then I just went with the flow

Not bad at all for your first CC3! I liked how you separated your different environments. Way better than what I did when I first started!

Very nice! It needs a couple of things still: A compass rose would be nice, and a scale bar is almost mandatory. A legend would also be helpful. I'm not sure if the symbols northwest of the desert are grassland or swamp.

I don't think I'd use that huge drop shadow on the map title. Instead, see if you can find a scroll or shield or something to place it on. This is known as a cartouche. Also, I'd reverse the label on The Cloudreach. That way, it won't be upside down, and it will read a bit more left to right.

Topographically speaking, it seems odd that there would be a desert bordered by swamp (if that is swamp) and jungle. It can happen, but there doesn't seem to be anything causing it.

Your symbol placement is very nice; that's something that I've struggled with.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like the waterfall you have coming down off that ridge - I'd almost missed it, saw just as I was about to close the window

As a bit of helpful criticism - I would recommend being especially observant when placing trees. i'm unfamiliar with the way CC apps work for placing them, but there are a few where the trunks overlap the trees in front (or at least that's how they appear to me - if those are floating trees, then by all means feel free to correct me, heh). Most of the trees are fine, really, it's the northern forest where that gets noticed.

Excellent so far, and yes, I'm enjoying it as much as I can

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

@Midgardsormr Yeah, l of those are something that will be revamped in the next version i upload.. I just could not figure out how to add a scale bar that..err.. scaled correctly , but its gona be fixed

@Coyotemax Thanks for the tip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast