Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much Yummy Goodness

Default Too much Yummy Goodness

I just want to say that if you get busy in life for a few days much less a week, there is just too much happening here to keep up with. I try to swing by and welcome a few new members, I try to check out the various maps that are being worked on and say a few encouraging words but I can't keep up!

I don't know how you guys that are responsible for the site can do it on a regular basis. I entered the monthly contest for January and that alone takes up most of my time for this.

So, if you are a new member, and I didn't say hello, just accept it from here: "Hello and welcome!"

I feel like a kid in a candy shop. I see all the bright bubbles flashing with folks' WIPs and completed maps and I race from one thread to another. While I'm doing that more good stuff is being uploaded...it's a veritable cornucopia of joy rides for the imagination here. About like when I once went to Disneyland on a Monday and there were no lines on any of the rides, we just ran from the exit back to the start of space mountain....man those were the days.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

almost sounds like poetry....

I'm so grateful that you welcome new members to the forum, Jax. Not that it's a chore for us, but we see ourselves as a friendly place and I would love to see more of our members apart from just the CLs and a few regulars contributing to the members introduction thread. Saying that first 'hello' can be daunting ...and we have a LOT of lurkers here, so tempting people out of their shells and getting them contibuting and posting maps is all to the good.

I gave up trying to keep up with everything. I routinely see four pages of updated posts every time I hit the "What's New?" button. I never thought a site devoted to such a niche hobby would see so much traffic! Nowadays, I really only pop in on one or two WIP threads each week, and I spend most of my time here looking for the people with specific questions that I can answer. I haven't had time to work on a real map of my own in about a year now.

I should take the time to hit a couple of intro threads from time to time, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Depends on my mood when I visit. I respond to new members in spurts. Sometimes I show up and say "Hi" and "welcome", which is actually fairly often, then I'll go a week without doing that, but half the time I am responding to New Member posts. But lately, it seems like double the traffic, so I respond half as often. If there's a question or a map, I almost always respond and often throw out some REP.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We're mainly just happy that other people care, as much as we do, about making this place the greatest website on earth. Every little bit that you contribute, whether it be a welcome or help or a critical eye or even just cheerleading, helps to foster that goal and also helps alleviate some of the weight we carry (some days I spend 4 hours writing replies). We CLs try to make this the friendliest place around and hopefully it rubs off. Indeed, there are so many awesome members here that I'd dub many of you deputy CLs and we'd be far worse off without you. You're all invaluable to us so just keep up the good work (more like fun really) and don't worry about trying to keep up, just chime in when ya can

~A~
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I usually welcome new member if they make a particularly interesting/funny first post. I read them all but I find it hard to break the habits from other forums where a post of just "Welcome." or something would be seen as spam or something to get your post count up.
    In response to the original post though, yeah.. I went out for most of yesterday and was too tired to log on when I got home so when I logged on this morning there were about 4 pages of new posts. :S

Any chance of getting the bar that separated new posts from old posts with unviewed threads back?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I try to respond to all of the introductory posts (we'll see if I can keep doing that ) - and I try and look at each new post (though that's darn near impossible anymore).

It's really good to see others besides the CLs responding to introductory threads - so thanks to all of you who try and do that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I too respond to all intro threads.Then I scan the posts looking for people needing help with CC3. Lots of folks here with GIMP or Photoshop etc, but CC3 is my specialty of choice.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I watch for the Photoshop stuff like Neon watches for CC3 and RobA for Gimp. Incidentally to all members, the more posts you have the more you can raise your rep, so welcoming new people could be a way to inflate your rep a bit...I think 1 point for every 100 posts or something like that (it's in the FAQ if you're interested) so, folks, you've got some welcoming to do Also, helping out others and using your critical eye can raise your post count and earn you some respect. I'm not saying to abuse the system but rather good deeds beget good rewards...post early post often but don't just post to be posting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast