Thread: Randomized Patterns Make Interesting Map Fills (Ortelius tutorial)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Software Dev/Rep

Tutorial Randomized Patterns Make Interesting Map Fills (Ortelius tutorial)

Randomized patterns can add texture and variety to an otherwise flat map. This is an especially good effect for representing features with naturally occurring randomness, such as ground-cover and forests. Ortelius has several tools in the Style Inspector to help you make awesome randomized patterns. Here’s how…
    Last edited by drjill; 02-04-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Jill Saligoe-Simmel

Ortelius™ – Map Illustration Software

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had never thought that but that's a great idea. Nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You should enter one of the monthly competitions with an Ortelius map - it would give your product some good exposure.

Edit: I just watched the video demo.... I just love the way you can have intersecting, stroked paths which are fully adjustable.....very drool making!

Are you going to produce a PC version?

best

Ravs

Software Dev/Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    You should enter one of the monthly competitions with an Ortelius map - it would give your product some good exposure.

Edit: I just watched the video demo.... I just love the way you can have intersecting, stroked paths which are fully adjustable.....very drool making!

Are you going to produce a PC version?

best

Ravs
    Unfortunately no Win version on the near horizon. Ortelius seeks to address (in part) the relative lack of mapping tools for the Mac. It relies a lot on underlying Apply technology. I've started building a library of Tuts and will start posting more. Thanks for your feedback - very glad you like what you see!

Jill Saligoe-Simmel

No win version? Fair enough . Downloading it now for test. Unless it has a good set of elevation-painting tools I'll probably have to wait on purchase until after Daylon Leveller. Mac or not, HF-building is my priority...

Still. Looking good.

Software Dev/Rep

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    No win version? Fair enough . Downloading it now for test. Unless it has a good set of elevation-painting tools I'll probably have to wait on purchase until after Daylon Leveller. Mac or not, HF-building is my priority...

Still. Looking good.
    We have plans to incorporate elevation painting-type tools in the future. Our initial work uses contour line "painting" and is fairly rudimentary. We don't feature it yet, but what we have so far is available if you are interested in a preview. If you're testing the trial version, you can look under Layer > New Contour Layer in the main menu. A new layer will be added and you can click-hold to draw on the drawing canvas and start "painting" contours. A cross-section bar allows fine adjustments. More work on controls is yet to be done, including adding fill options. Sorry, there is no documentation available yet from the Help menu.

Jill Saligoe-Simmel