Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Page Dungeon Contest 2010

Info One Page Dungeon Contest 2010

Remember the One Page Dungeon Contest 2009? Good times!

Dates: Submission deadline is March 1, 0:00 GMT. Based on last year's experience, judges will have one month to read all the submissions and another two weeks to discuss the result. Winners will be announced April 18, 0:00 GMT. A pitty this will be too late for International Traditional Gaming Week 2010!

Prizes: Do you have prizes to donate? Let me know → kensanata@gmail.com!

Submissions: Here's how to submit your entry.

• Participants create a One Page Dungeon.
    • Submitting a dungeon to the contest releases it under the Creative Common Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license with credit to the contest participant.
    • The submission must have a name, an author, a map, a key, a link to the license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and no game stats.
    • A link to your blog, wandering monsters, random events, adventure background or introduction, and descriptions of tricks or traps are all optional.
    • One entry per participant. Participants may revise/replace their entries up until the end of contest, with the last revision counting as their official entry.
    • Submission must be mailed in PDF, Open Office, or Microsoft Word format to Alex Schröder → kensanata@gmail.com.
    • If you're also hosting your submission elsewhere, you're welcome to link to it from the One Page Dungeon Contest page.
    • If you're not hosting your submission elsewhere, your entry may be hosted on the contest site.

Process: Here's how we'll determine the winners.

• Every judge nominates twenty entries and proposes a category for each.
    • We prepare a list of the entries that get three or more nominations. These are the nominations.
    • Every judge again nominates five entries from this smaller list.
    • All entries getting three nominations or more are the judge's picks.
    • We try to make sure that every judge has at least three of his picks in the final list. Judge with an eclectic taste may find that not many of their nominations made it into this list. As the idea is to not only reflect popular opinion but to also capture some of the more eclectic entries out there, judges may add additional submission to the judge's picks until we feel that every judge is well represented. We'll try to aim for three entries per judge.
    • Based on the categories proposed in the first step, we try to assign a category to each entry on the list.
    • The result is our release candidate 1. Judges gets to check whether their favorites are still on the list.
    • We fix omissions and rename categories until we're happy. This is our release candidate 2.
    • We revise everything until we're happy. We have our list of winners!
    • If we have prizes (we currently don't) each judge gets to nominate their favorite entry for a prize.
    • We publish our list of winners!
    • Somebody puts together a PDF of all the entries and a PDF of all the winners. We'll make these PDFs available for download at no cost.
    Last edited by kensanata; 01-26-2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: We have seven judges

Sounds interesting. I went digging through your links to see exactly what comprises a "one-page dungeon" and there's a lot of reading there. I'll warrant you'll get a better response from contest entrants if you post a concise description of what the finished entry should be. Hope this works out.

I reckon I made a lot of one-page dungeons in my time...before I got delusions of grandeur and started trying to design whole worlds, mega-dungeons, and adventure paths.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    I reckon I made a lot of one-page dungeons in my time...before I got delusions of grandeur and started trying to design whole worlds, mega-dungeons, and adventure paths.
    M
    Indeed, I have always felt the need to make a huge dungeon, a huge world, or a huge city, all at once, and before starting the campaign. I didn't know any better because that's what published products looked like. Seeing the One Page Dungeons was a big relief for me. I realized that I wasn't all that different from all the other game masters out there.

What a fab idea...I must have missed it the first time round.

Here is a link to the Critical Hits site which has a pdf of all the winning entries.....a great read and a must have in any GM's armoury!

Moved to 'News' for more visibility and relevance.

Info

The contest page now lists some pretty cool prizes! But that's just icing on the cake, of course. Submit a dungeon and be a part of it!

I read through the previous contest entries a while back (you can find a file with every single entry somewhere but I lost the link) and there was some great stuff in there. I may have to give it a go this time!

Last year's entries are available from here, for example:
    http://oldguyrpg.blogspot.com/2009/0...test-pdfs.html

Question: Kensanata - last year's One Page Dungeon required using ChattyDM's one page Word/Excell (forget which) pre-made form - which I still have somewhere in my PC. I don't see this restriction in the current contest, it is still a requirement? I can just as easily create a one page dungeon using the form, as well as not using the form. I think those couple of one page dungeons being created by CG members right now is not using the form, just following a one page restriction.

Can you clarify this point?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Info

Adhering to the One Page Dungeon Template is not required. That just makes it easy if you're no layout hero.

Check out The Gray Goblin Warrens for an entirely different approach.

There are still a few days left to submit an entry to the contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast