Thread: Roof Shingle Tutorial using Illustrator - Hand drawn line art style

Tutorial Roof Shingle Tutorial using Illustrator - Hand drawn line art style

I've been working on a way to automate the creation of roof shingles in a hand drawn style for my next papercraft project. I tried drawing the entire roof by hand, but the sizes of the shingles varied too much from area to area. After starting over multiple times I decided to try and procedurally generate the roof shingles if possible. Here are the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof shingles.jpg 
Views:	14256 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	43188

And this is how I did it.

Now the next step would be to create a script that would convert a line into a row of shingles, but that is beyond my capabilities I'm afraid. I looked into scripting, but couldn't find out how to "expand appearances" with a script and gave up. I also looked into recording an action to turn a line into a row of shingles, but the "expand appearances" and distortion effects didn't record.

It's too bad really. It would be so nice if either an action or a script could turn a line into a row of shingles. If anyone knows of a way to do this... Wow, that'd be amazing!

TheRooster
    Last edited by TheRooster; 03-18-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I use Illustrator all the time for making maps and have made some custom brushes, but didn't realize you could build in all the random rotations and distortions. I was hoping I could help... ends up I only learned some new things.

Thanks.
    Repped.

Guild Apprentice

Wow, I really like this. Thanks so much for sharing

Thanks for the kind words. I have been looking into it some more, and found a way to script this procedure using actions. It takes some effort, but it sure helps in the long run. I'll post more once I've figured it all out

Guild Apprentice

Awesome! I would definitely be making use of that whenever you post the instructions
    I think I prefer using adobe illustrator over photoshop for most of my work and its wonderful to find some tutorials for it!