Thread: Creating believable Edges to Mountains and Forest Texture fills [PS/Gimp.]

Post Creating believable Edges to Mountains and Forest Texture fills [PS/Gimp.]

One of the more common questions asked by newer mappers is 'how do I make my mountains / forests' look less blobby in outline? This tutorial is written in Photoshop but it should work equally well in Gimp.

It's probably not the best or most controlled way to break up texture edges, but it works!

Errata: In step 5 render clouds again on top of the existing cloud layer before continuing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 01.jpg 
Views:	4603 
Size:	866.2 KB 
ID:	13065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step  02.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	565.2 KB 
ID:	13066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 03.jpg 
Views:	1167 
Size:	872.2 KB 
ID:	13067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 04.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	13068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 05.jpg 
Views:	1142 
Size:	864.4 KB 
ID:	13069  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff ravs, I usually just do a few smaller and smaller pixellate > crystalize filters on my mask.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Go Ravs Go!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking at it again, I think it would work better if you rendered a different set of clouds for the Forest edge layer as otherwise they tend to be mostly overlapped by the broken forest layer...ah well!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I tend to use a drop-shadow and a bit of gaussian blur on my forest edges to give them some depth.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

I would absolutely love to read this tutorial, but sadly I'm colorblind.

The red text on the green (or brown or whatever) background is nearly impossible for me to read.

Yes... christmas looks all brown to me... ugliest holiday ever.

There are a couple of mistakes in the tutorial anyway and I should repost it so that it's all on one document and easier to read. Check back here in a few days' time and I'll try to update it for you.

Best

Ravs

I found the information for the forest the most useful. I had approached the mountains from a different path and seemed to work for me. but the ideas for the forest, expecially the rendering and threshold manipulation really adds realism for my forests. Thanks!

Glad you found it useful, although I have to say I don't use this method any more. Oldguy's coastline tutorial might be a better (faster and more controllable) bet.