Thread: Crei

Guild Novice

Wip Crei

Hello!

I just registered and it was suggested to me that I should start integrating into the community here. In early 2009 I started a RPG worldbuilding project. Since environment is key to that, the first step was to draw a map. I had no previous knowledge of graphics software outside of drawing squares in MS-Paint so I tried some Inkscape, a borrowed copy from either CC2 or Dundjinni and some others but ultimately decided to use Autorealm. After a good deal of frustration and patience I got something that, while nowhere near some beautiful art I have seen here, was enough to kick-start my project (and campaign). Now, if possible, I would like to refine my initial drawings with new techniques and/or tools. Suggestions, criticism and tips are more than welcome.

Below are samples from the continent named Crei

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers5.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	21421

Name:	layers4.PNG 
Views:	83 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	21419

Name:	layers3.PNG 
Views:	87 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	21420

romsnesrom

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

I'm having a bit of trouble discerning what is land and what is water. The very pale orange is hard to tell apart from the white, which I assume is the water. I'm not sure what the light blue is on the second map either, so maybe claryifying what that is would help. My final suggestion is that you make the transitions between diferent regions more gradual.

That all said, it looks like a good start, and I'll give props to anyone attemptin to use autorealm

Guild Novice

Well, the white is supposed to be the ocean. Originally it was blue like the little lakes and rivers, but somehow in the export process the background became white. The light blue was another anomaly since it was supposed to be swampy green like in the first picture. I was having some exporting pains and cared little for that at the time. About the gradual transition I certainly agree. I am not very sure how to do that, though. The main dissatisfaction I had with AR was that I could not find a simple way of subdividing an object. Most people suggested that I should use layers, but that is a paradigm that i am not very knowledgeable yet.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

I'm not sure if this will work on what program you are using, but try going into tools>colour management>optimize for web. I had that problem when I first started uploading as well. other than that, I'm not sure what the problum is.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Agree with the previous comments. You may want to try some different, less saturated colours
    The shape of the continent looks quite nice, I think.

Most people suggested that I should use layers, but that is a paradigm that i am not very knowledgeable yet.
    Well, if you want to know more about layers (and photoshop (because what little I know (from experience) about AR comes down to: "AAAAAaaaaargh!")) and how some people here make maps, a very good place to start would be Butch Curry's www.zombienirvana.com. He has a bunch of podcasts on how to do maps in photoshop and actually teaches you some of the basics while you're at it.
    And the the tutorials section here is full of good advice, too.

Guild Novice

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions and sorry that I took this much to reply, but I am having some nasty hardware problems. Fortunately I will be getting a new PC soon to continue my work on Crei.

I used those colors to better separate them on gray scale. Also, because I do not know a better technique to differentiate grasslands/plains from highlands/crops from jungles/forests from lowlands/swamps from mountains. I personally do not like the way how most (if not all) of the pre-made icons i have seen so far look.