Thread: Which World Map Projection (outlines) to use for school (need for tomorrow)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which World Map Projection (outlines) to use for school (need for tomorrow)

I'm helping a teacher with some of her resources and am trying to find a decent world-map projection (outlines of continents) for her students to use when identifying oceans, and major longitude and latitude lines.

The one she has is OK, but the projection is not quite in proportion, so her equator and other E-W lines are not spaced correctly when the students put them on (i.e., the Northern lines not the same distance from the equator as their Southern equivalents).

What projection should I be looking for and do any of you have a high-res outline map (though preferably vector) that I could put in a PDF for her to distribute to her students (it's a distributed learning school) without enraging the copyright gods?

I'm good with links too!

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/ has some map outline PDFs that are free for personal or classroom use (at least that's what the notice says).

Thanks for the suggestion!

I need one with no lines on it whatsoever, as part of the project is to put them on from scratch. I'll see if I can strip that one down and remove them. Depends on how the PDF is setup.

What projection might that be called?
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 01-25-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Awesome - waldronate, thank you. I was able to remove the longitude/latitude lines and labels. It'll work perfectly.

Much appreciated!

Dave

I would guess that it's a Robinson projection or close relative. I would recommend leaving the outline of the map because it can be tough to get the edges close with projections like this.