Thread: How do I edit a heightmap in Wilbur?

Default How do I edit a heightmap in Wilbur?

but I need some help! Please.

All I want to do is edit a height map, both in wideness and height, and smooth it out afterwards.

But any changes I make are not saved to disk.

What I figured out from the manual is that the "texture to height..." could be the thing that flattens the image, but it does not work. The map gets all distorted.

Original file: Grayscale BMP
    Same format wanted for output.

Very thankful for help.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The developer of Wilbur drops by from time to time, I'm sure he'll answer your question if someone else who is familiar with the program doesn't get to it first.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Load the file with File>>Open and Files of type set to Grayscale Image Surface (it sounds like you've got this part working).
    Use Texture>>Grayscale Bump Shader to have your surface shaded as grayscale height values while you work on it.
    Save the file with File>>Save As and Save as type set to BMP Texture (you'll need to scroll down a bit on the list).

Thanks a lot, I'll try it as soon as I am on the right computer. And it is amazing that you can get such advanced apps for free. With support! Gods Glory!

Can Wilbur work at 8192? It crashes as soon as I try to add filters such as blur.

Wilbur will try to do whatever you ask of it, but it's not particularly good at error handling (the error handling usually consists of a crash notification). For the 32-bit version you can usually work with 4x by 4k files without too much pain; much larger than that and it's prone to error. The 64-bit version (assuming that you're running a 64-bit OS) will deal with much larger files without problem.

Thanks, then I know. Maybe I'll just size it up the last bit to 8192 somewhere else.