Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robin Hobb's Six Duchies & Cursed Shores

Map Robin Hobb's Six Duchies & Cursed Shores

This is one of the very first maps I drew, actually the first digital, colour one (done in 2004).

Sorry I don't have WIPs for it, but this is how I went about it:

I used the maps found in various editions of Robin Hobb's Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies, copied them on tracing paper and used a scan as base layer (or set of layer), which I put on top with Multiply as blending mode.

On another layer I drew the shape of the land with a hard opaque brush in a bright colour. When this was done I blocked the transparency, filled with green (after filling another layer below with sea-blue) and then started adding different hue variations with a big soft brush with low opacity. I then decided where my light source would be and started working on the details, switching between lighter and darker shades (same for water).

I usually have several other layers for trees, names, roads and borders, sometimes another one between sea and land to adjust the colour of things such as sandy shores, lakes and rivers. On this one I had a layer for sand.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, maybe I'll remember...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhmapPrint_3086.jpg 
Views:	5121 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	21469
    Check out my deviantArt gallery!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's very nice and painterly. I don't think I can do anything to guide ya so maybe you can guide us Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Terrific! I love those books, and it's nice to finally see all of those maps combined into one.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yeah, I've read nearly all of the Robin Hobb Books I've found... but it is nice to see the full map from those 9 books.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Decent and clean map! Fine DA gallery, btw!

Looks great! I am unfamiliar with the book but I enjoy your map. What font are you using by the way?

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Read 'em! The cycle starts with Assassin's Apprentice, book one of The Farseer Trilogy.

Oh, and Juggernaut: Did you read Gypsy? It was a collaboration with Steven Brust, and she wrote under her other name, Meghan Lindholm, so it's easy to miss.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Have some rep. I have read most of the Robin Hobb books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am also very much enjoying your map. Good work!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

If I remember correctly, I used a font called "Celtic", but I can't find it anymore (probably lost it in a disk crash). There are some fonts that look very much like it online, try "Stonehenge" maybe?
    Check out my deviantArt gallery!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another nice one!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast