• Fort Locust - Xyll

3 6.25%
  • City of Lowangen - Zar Peter

0 0%
  • Romeda - industrygothica

6 12.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** January2010 Challenge Voting - Up and Down the Scales ***

I agree, it would be fun to play in Sep's world. Ever want to set up a VTT and have a go I'd sign up.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The scaling video was brilliant!

I had to go with Fort Locust by Xyll - with the multiple levels on the main map, that really brought it home to me, and the video really pulled it through - with the extra levels it really showed off the zoomability

That was the telling point for me, or I probably would have spent another day or two deciding everyone's maps were wonderful, excellent entries from all!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Ok, having thought about it I'm gonna go for Immolate's map. It's beautiful and there is a lot of work tat has gone into it. I didn't go for Industrygothica's map (and the same for Sapiento's) because they did a regional of their own maps when the rules seem to state (at least as far as I am concerned) that it should be someone else's map. Seems a bit of a cop-out to just blow up a section of your own work. I discounted Djekspek's beautiful piece from my vote this time because I just don't see it as a map. Just a rather lovely picture of a city. No labels, points of interest or anything.
    Tear's entry is beautiful but I like the way Immolate is constantly trying new styles so in the end he got my vote.

Good luck to all the entrants.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    ...they did a regional of their own maps when the rules seem to state (at least as far as I am concerned) that it should be someone else's map.
    Well the idea was to try and bridge other peoples maps and fit in with other peoples styles because thats kinda what we have to do when we expand the CWBP and what happens when a publisher asks for a map commission but the question was asked and clarified that they could use their own map so long as the reference map existed before the challenge started.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe this is our first large scale poll with the new software, so I'll be watching it for "issues" - The lack of a closing date being visible is one of those issues.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Well the idea was to try and bridge other peoples maps and fit in with other peoples styles because thats kinda what we have to do when we expand the CWBP and what happens when a publisher asks for a map commission but the question was asked and clarified that they could use their own map so long as the reference map existed before the challenge started.
    Yeah, I saw that. But I still think it defeats the spirit of this challenge, hence my discounting those entries from my own personal vote.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

So, great videos, thanks Redrobes. I was a bit scared how my map would fit in but I was quite satisfied about the outcome.
    My vote went to Industrygothica because I liked the map best and it was very good matching, too. But it was a very close race with Immolate and Sapiento.

For me it was a great experience and I learned an awful lot about making city maps. The contest was the main reason I finally decided to work on this city and it's better than I hoped it will be. It's lacking a lot still, though, for instance a legend for interesting places and so on.

And just wanted to ask: If the rule is that you get 1 map to vote for every 5 entries shouldn't you get 2 votes in this competition? From my point of view this is: 1-5 = 1 vote, 6-10= 2 votes, 11-15 = 3 votes and so on...
    Last edited by Zar Peter; 01-27-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Blog Entries

I think the way you describe it would be better but we have gone with this for a while its 1 vote per 5 entrants rounded down. The overlap of about a quarter or fifth of the votes has broken some deadlocks in the past. When there is one vote and two strong contenders then many people get no votes at all which is discouraging and also in cases like this one where getting second and third place is pretty important too then your second vote makes a lot of difference in challenges where there is one obvious leader (which its not this time).

In challenges past there has been about 50 or so people voting and between 9 entrants like this then we might see leaders getting about 8 - 10 but it drops off steep so that second and third is harder to split. When you have 50 casting 3 votes each then 150 votes gives a more even spread. In fact I reckon 9 is the worst number to have to get a good spread as its the most you can have with one vote to get the sample. Hopefully a lot of people will vote then it will be alright and give a good spread curve.

Vids seem to be down at the moment? Getting an error.
    Some very, very nice entries and it was so hard to pick one... *shakes head*

I had to go with Djekspek again. I think his work is amazing and I love the handdrawn feel. Also I took the liberty to edit the poll and correct his name
    I can't stress enough the choice was really hard to make. At least half the entries was amazing.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Wow this is Hard, Awesome work done there guys and Redrobes those vidieo's are sweet , they are showing just what a good job these guys did, well done mate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast