0 0%
  • Romeda - industrygothica

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** January2010 Challenge Voting - Up and Down the Scales ***

Blog Entries

Default *** January2010 Challenge Voting - Up and Down the Scales ***

Right then ! This month the challenge was as follows:

"This months challenge is where you must make a map which fits into one or more other existing maps on the guild. The idea is to make either a small part of someone else map like a building in a city and map that building or to use the other persons map as a small part of your entry. I.e. you take somebody's village and make a regional map with lots of villages on it one of which is the reference map.

Ideally you could map something which has both an existing larger and a smaller map and bridge the two with your entry. I.e. find a house and a regional map and make a town in that region with the house somewhere in the town."

and we have a good turnout of 10 entrants of which Torstan has withdrawn due to him selling his entry !!! A winner already. So with 9 entrants that means this month you get to vote for just the one selection.

as the voting should be based on:

"Voting should be based on the general quality of the map but also should take into account the continuity of the reference maps too."

and that second bit is a little difficult to visualize so this month I have a complete set of movies for those of you who wish to check how well their maps scaled with the references. The videos are in XviD format so a player like MediaPlayer or VLC (freeware download for multiple OS'es) should be ok.

Djekspek
    Immolate
    Jaxilon
    PlumCrazy
    Sapiento
    Tear
    Xyll
    ZarPeter
    industrygothica

Don't forget to check out the Thumbnails too.

Voting will close at end of month which is 5 days from now. Make sure you REP your favorite entries. May the best third of you win ! If we have a draw in the top 3 then we may have to have a special one day vote off or something.

Blog Entries

No it just took me a while but I am not seeing the close date on it - maybe thats not visible with the new upgrade ??. It should be end of month are you able to check or edit it so that there is an end time for it ?

Cant see the poll details on the edit, I'm afraid...

So hard....but I went with Plum Crazy's entry. The pic in the thumbnails doesn't do the actual plan map justice.

No need to check PM's found it. There is a box saying close poll after ... text box.. days. So I put in 4 days which will close it on 31st Jan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poll.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	21473  

Blog Entries

Gah! So many great entries to choose from. I think I'm going to have to sleep on it. For me it's a toss-up between Immolate, Tear and Industrygothica... or maybe one of the others. Gah!
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Those vids are great! I was afraid to watch mine though

I think I'll chew on these for a bit before I cast my vote however. There are some really nice entries to choose from.

I for one want to make sure and say thank you to Redrobes for putting the vids together. I know this is kind of what your software does but it still had to take time to put it all together. So thank you for that.

I also want to express appreciation for your basically sponsoring the event this month by putting up the prizes.

It goes without saying but I will say it anyway, thanks to the entire Cartographer's Guild for being such a cool place to hang out.

ROFL...I'm starting to sound like one of those award ceremonies: "Thank you to all the little people who are down there to stand on..no wait, that can't be right!"
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-26-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

I took the images for the vids from earlier tonight and took quite a while to get them all in scale and matched up as best as I could. The codec goes a bit psychedelic at times tho no idea why. The original captures looked great but at 800Mb each I didn't think that was a goer

argh, i feel like a 10 year old in a candy store... so many great entries. And great video's by RedRobes as well (nicely done)... All maps are stunning so I looked for the continuity to the reference map which made me vote for Sapiento's. cheers

arrgggh.. this is really hard.. i like having 2 to pick.. i had to go with sapiento's map because ... just 'cause.. it fit perfectly and had many references from the main map.. although it's not hard to find an outline of florida laying around (0:
    I had several other favorites though.. Jaxilion, yours was a perfect fit too and i salivate when i see Djekspek's sketching.. so, yeah.. Good Job everyone!
    I suppose I'll have to try one of these challenges sometime. (scaredy-cat)

Brian

...actually that darn feather quill almost pushed me over the edge!
    Last edited by a2area; 01-26-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Totally awesome entries this time around. Some that really stood out to me were the ones from Djekspek, Sapiento, Industry Gothica, and Immolate. Hard choice between then but I've got to go with Sapiento for consistency (yeah, I know they're both his), for attractiveness, and for giving me another dose of that sweet, sweet post-apocalyptic love. I want to play a game in that world for sure. I don't suppose you'd care to detail the Pacific Northwest for us someday?

I'm on a mega-slow wireless network at a hotel right now but rep all around when I get back home to decent access speeds!
    M

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast