Thread: Robin Hobb's Gernia

Map Robin Hobb's Gernia

I used more or less the same technique as for my Six Duchies & Cursed Shores map:

I scanned a tracing paper copy of the maps found in my paperback edition of Robin Hobb's Soldier Son trilogies and used it as base layer (on top with Multiply as blending mode).

On another layer I drew the shape of the land with a hard opaque brush in a bright colour. When this was done I blocked the transparency, filled with green (after filling another layer below with sea-blue) and then started adding different hue variations with a big soft brush with low opacity. I then decided where my light source would be and started working on the details, switching between lighter and darker shades (same for water).

I used several other layers for trees (I created a custom brush which I'm not too happy about), names and roads, and also another one between sea and land to adjust the colour of things such as sandy shores, lakes and rivers.

If I remember correctly, I also added a light paper texture to the whole.

Again, sorry, I don't have any WIPs of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapgernia_lighter_4520-L.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	21487
    Check out my deviantArt gallery!

thanks for posting! makes me wanne grab all them Hobb books from the shelves and read them all over again. But I just cant stand the thought of reading again of the wolf dying in the Farseers books :'( Anyway, great maps you made (love the coloring)! cheers

That's beautiful. Repped.
    M

Having never even heard of Gernia before, I don't have anyway to judge the accuracy, but it looks nice. Although it appears Mr. (Ms.?) Hobb needs to spend a little time in the interrogation room with the River Police.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think I even had to ask her if those lines were indeed rivers, because it's true they don't make sense and I had problems figuring out how to draw the hills around them...
    Check out my deviantArt gallery!

Hi Crooty, wonderful job here, what a beautiful, vibrant map. I thought your trees were especially cool: they were unique, and complimented the overall style of the map. Repped.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is a fantastic piece of art. Repped.