Thread: Ideas for a ziggurat and jungle

Question Ideas for a ziggurat and jungle

Hey guys. Me and my buddy are going to be building a huge (4 by 6 feet) 3d map of a ziggurat and the surrounding jungle area. The idea is that it is located in the middle of an island covered in a treacherous labyrinthine jungle. The ziggurat itself is inhabited by snake people.

We want to include lots of little details and features on the map that the people looking at it can discover and interact with while exploring it through their characters. Do you guys have any ideas for things to put in?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Giant venus flytraps, sandpits with stakes, lots of little animals and reptiles and birds, giant gorilla, diplodocus, tribal dudes and shamen with little huts and stakes around their village, sacrificial altar, a cliff, "gold" coins and fake gems, palm trees from a railroad set, little snake dudes of course, oh and a ziggurat
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If its a Mayan ziggurat then you will have to place a waterfilled sinkhole near the pyramid area - as they were used for sacrafices and most ziggurat sites were near at least one open sinkhole. Don't place any rivers or streams, as those are all underground on the Mayan regions.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Assuming they're a tribal people, you could have a number of trip-wire traps, pits, enemies in trees, etc.

For non-combat things, there could be outlying villages (abandoned or raided), religious sites, or various clues that could lead them to exposing a weakness of the snake people, or something hidden in/around the main area.

if it's Mayan, also maybe a "ball game field" as the mayans loved that game ... or some other "bread and circus" crowd control mechanism. is you plan a village or city close.. maybe you could also do something with the positioning off the ziggurat with respect to north/south, astronomy, sun dawn/set, something religious ... furthermore when thinking snakes am thinking poison... deadly poisonous things... cheers

By the description, i'm assuming Mayan type and not Persian type, I would say panthers, and monkeys, and such. plus what the others have already stated. crocodiles would also be nice. In addition, when I made a module that took place in a jungle, I wanted them to get a feel for it, so I included mosquitoes and lots of em. I also made sure they understood that they were hot, very, very hot.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Yeah, jungles should have lots of bugs. And birds. And monkeys. And most of all, exotic diseases.

Mist - To make everything more ominous especially if you want to get them all spooked out before you spring some encounter on them.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt