Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caves of Uthriam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Caves of Uthriam

Heya, another one done I tried my hands on a ISO-ish dungeon this time. For WIP see this thread. cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeontime06.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	21552  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 01-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So cool. I can really get a feel for the environment and helps my imagination much more than flat black on white. Well done DJ.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty indeed. Love the subtle colour palette and the parchments are a wonderful way to lay out the information. This style of yours is developing really nicely. My one crit would be to find some way to include the grid in there. At the moment its a wonderful map to show how all the different areas interconnect but I have no way of measuring the scales involved. Not a problem for some games of course, but certainly an issue for any of the brands of D&D. Perspective is always going to have trouble there so possibly a full iso map next?

Love the style and work that went into this. Well done!

I can easily see this as a handout for players, with a more 'traditional' top down map for the DM.

And DAMMIT< My rep just pushed you into FOUR GEM Territory!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

So, now you're just showing off! Awesome map. Repped. How is it that you've not gone into making iso maps professionally? This one belongs in a Paizo module for sure.
    M

Without a doubt, this is a pleasure to look at, beautiful work!

Couple things I saw that may or may not be something you want to update:
    1) in the second box of the scrollwork text: "was build" I think should be "was built".
    2) in the third box: "usuin" would make more sense to me if it was "using". I don't know what "usuin" is.
    3) Torstan mentioned scale and that's what I was wondering about as well. The sleep area seems really small compared to the kitchen. Just seems like with a kitchen that huge there should be more denizens sleeping than would fit in there.

#3 is pretty trivial as far as size comparing the two rooms and it is fantasy anyway. I also don't know if you plan to have levels above this which may account for more people or whatever.

If I were you I would seriously think about entering this in one of those 1 page dungeon contests as it is definitely a star. Of course, you might need to make the information a bit more generic for the contest such as leaving out some of the names.

I love the color and feel of this map, I feel inspired to try one myself someday and therefore I rep thee.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks so much for the praise and usefull tips people! Indeed 'finished' maps are never really finished as there's always room for improvements... I ddint do all the changes but I did some small update to see how a grid would look (indeed, full ISO may do the trick better) and remove the annoying typos. As for the rooms, I didn't plan anything ahead so they are odd, next time I should plan a little ahead cheers

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hmm, that grid looks strange. At it stands your pool is 4 squares wide but 2 squares deep. I'd expect the grid squares to be shorter vertically than horizontally due to foreshortening, whereas the grid you have placed here is the opposite. The drawing of the map looks right, but the grid is off. (one other note, the perspective is off in your rooms to the right. They look a little like they are floating as a result, but this is probably best just ignored).

Otherwise, I'll say what I always have. This is a very pretty map.

hehe, I cant get away with anything . but you are so right. When trying to put in the grid the flaws in perspective popped up like crazy, i tried to 'map' the grid with loads of distortion but it seems impossible to get it right, the perspective of the drawing is just too much off. Guess a good lesson for the next map: 1st do a real good reference grid (with smaller squares then I used for this one) and keep a stronger eye on perspective. Guess this one has to be without grid... cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast