Thread: Aerial photos - 457th Bombardment Group - WW2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aerial photos - 457th Bombardment Group - WW2

Talk about a dream job for mappers - I'm so damn lucky. Just today someone brought me 65 aerial photographs taken by the bombers of the 457th Bombardment Group, over Normandy just prior to the D Day invasion (softening coastal targets), over France and Germany.

I have to scan them at 600 ppi, print them to scale to be shipped to Germany, for a purchase from EBay for these photos. I will print these for resale, then burn them to CD, plus he has more photos to bring me - about 80 more! These are the actual photos taken by the US Army Air Corps 1944.

The first photo below is the Normandy Coast taken on June 2, 1944 - four days before D Day. You can clearly see Omaha Beach in this photo - before the landing!

The second photo is the bombing of Plaven Bridge (I think this is France, but am not sure) many of these photos are hand labeled to include the date, bombing site, the plane that took the photo, and the 457th Bombardment Group listed.

If I find anymore, really cool photos of this set, I'll post them up here, but lots of the same kind of photos to scan yet. I might be able to post higher res images, since the biggest ones are only 9" x 10".

I thought these are awesome cool!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457th-normandy.jpg 
Views:	1341 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	21559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457th-plaven-bridge.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	21560
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-29-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations