Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Make a custom raised-relief globe

Tutorial [Award Winner] Make a custom raised-relief globe

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, so it's kind of weird that I'm already posting tutorials, but here goes.

If you are a worldbuilder or mapmaker working at a global scale, it can be helpful to have an actual, physical globe to guide you. If your world is an alternate Earth, then you are in luck. You can go to Amazon or troll the thrift stores and garage sales for a cheap globe of the Earth. All done.

For the rest of us, the globe we need cannot be found in any thrift store. So we make our own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4hy.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	74041

The above is an 8 inch desktop decorative globe I bought at a furniture store. Globes run for about $15-$30 at stores, or cheaper if you can find them used. What you want is a sturdily built globe with no raised relief.

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4hd.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	74042

Accuracy is not important. Any out-of-date borders and countries will be slathered over with a couple coats of gesso. Gesso is a type of acrylic paint that creates a toothed surface that can be painted on. You can buy it at any art store in bulk for pretty cheap. It's a good thing to have around.

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4gk.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	74043

Next, use a pencil to outline where your continents are going to be.

How to view a flat world map in the round

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4el.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	74044

Fill in the oceans with a base color. This will provide contrast between land and sea, making the next step easier.

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4h8.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	74045

For raised relief, use a heavy molding/modeling paste. This is where you will be defining your coastline and texturing the landscape. I would recommend making your coastlines more fractal than this, as mine are too smooth, but it's too late to change that now.

Creating Realistic Coastlines

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4ew.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	74046

Mountains. They can be raised with a touch of the finger, keeping in mind that the paste will shrink as it dries. Exaggerate your peaks and use water to smooth out plains, deserts, and valleys.

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4i9.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	74047

After the paste dries, paint the continents with acrylics. My planet has red and black plants, hence the color, but the technique is the same. Refer to tutorials on painting landscapes for getting a realistic color into your lands. Take advantage of the texturing you created earlier. Lightly dry-brush a light gray (not pure white) onto your mountains to add a dusting of snow to the peaks. Dry-brushing is a technique used by modelers to create weathering effects and make things look "dusty." To dry-brush, dip a dry brush in thick paint and wipe off most of it on a towel. With what remains, lightly drag your brush across the raised surface of your mountains in multiple directions. This should be your last step, after you've added all other layers of color.

A wash is sort of the opposite of dry-brushing. Dilute a dark color in water and let it sink into the nooks and crannies of your textured surface. Wipe off the excess with a towel. Dry-brushing makes highlights; washes make shadows.

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa90t.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	74049

Now that you have your mountains, decide where your lakes and rivers are going to go. Keep in mind that most rivers won't be visible on the global scale, unless your globe is very large. In the above image you can see that I used natural depressions in the texture to make my lakes.

On Placing Rivers

Name:	untitled_by_malicious_monkey-d8xa4g5.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	74050

Lastly, paint the ocean. Look at pictures of the Earth from space to get an idea of the range of colors you will be using. Shallows tend to be lighter and greener, while areas with red seaweed and red algae will be brownish. The reddish swirl at the center of my globe represents a thick layer of vegetation, "plantbergs" of sorts, in case you were wondering.

Name:	sea_ice_by_malicious_monkey-d8xaa3r.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	74051

Sea ice. It's bluer than snowpacked land, which I exaggerated here to make the continents more visible. Most of you will be placing the ice at the poles, obviously. This is a tidally locked planet, so an entire side is hidden away from the sun and therefore very cold. Determine your world's weather patterns and sea currents before painting in the ice.

That's it! A globe is very handy to reference when making maps of your world. Plus, it'll look nice on your desk.
    Last edited by Korash; 10-01-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Amazing, thanks for sharing!

Banned User

This is extremely well-done!! Thank you for taking the time to lay this all out

Rep'd and rated!

That's very cool!

Red plants, what kind of plant is it?

Excellent post and fine work MM.
    Thanks for doing this thread.
    I've long wanted to do a globe of some worlds and this provides some very helpful advice.

I hope if any Guild members take a bash at creating their own globe, they'll share pics, because I'd love to see them.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

LOL

Back in the day when I first joined the Guild, this was one of the things I was trying to figure out. Even looked into buying a large Styrofoam ball to use as a base globe. WAAAY too expensive for the size I wanted...

Nice Tut

Repped and rated
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks for all the kind words and rep everyone! What a warm welcome this has been. I'm glad I can contibute.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    That's very cool!

Red plants, what kind of plant is it?
    Basically they're alien plants that evolved from animals. You can read all about them on my project site.

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    LOL

Back in the day when I first joined the Guild, this was one of the things I was trying to figure out. Even looked into buying a large Styrofoam ball to use as a base globe. WAAAY too expensive for the size I wanted...
    Wow, that must have been a huge globe. But with such a large surface, I bet you could fit in some gorgeous detail.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malicious-Monkey View Post
    Wow, that must have been a huge globe. But with such a large surface, I bet you could fit in some gorgeous detail.
    Yeah, that was my thinking too. Unfortunately, all I could find easily was an eight inch ball, and I was looking for something like 2 feet. When I asked about larger they said that it would have to be a special order, and the price just ratcheted up like crazy.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I think you could fit a decent amount of detail on a standard 11 inch stand-up or desk globe. Just get some tiny paintbrushes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast