Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galbrin - City of my Novel

Wip Galbrin - City of my Novel

I've been working on a new city map for my novel I've started writing. After getting a few chapters in, I've decided to make a map of the city (the entire novel takes place within the city).

The map is 25% of the actual size, and the stroke on the walls and the towers is a bit strong but I think that is because I resized it before I flattened it (whoops!). But still, you can get an idea of what it'll look like.

The map will be in a similar style to my Tressimere one, with a few more details. For those curious, the way I do buildings is I draw basic shapes on their own layer with the line tool (20-30px for regular buildings). Then I add a style layer of 2px stroke and 3px drop shadow. Then I draw the peaks of the roof on with a 2px line tool. Then I darken the sides of the roof that should be shadowed. And then I use a 1px brush, with tablet pen pressure opacity to make the roof tiles.

It takes forever, but I like the result.

Someone said I should do a tutorial and I plan to do so after I finish this map.

I'm using Photoshop CS3.

The building thing is something I'm always aware of 'cause I've an interest in architecture (mostly historical) and some friends of mine are in the contruction industry. So you get in the mindset of things like rooms needing windows and such. Especially in a fantasy/medieval setting.
    Also lots of real maps I've seen have shown buildings centered around a courtyard. Maybe a little tighter but I've a little artistic license. And this is also a dense city like medieval Florence rather than a young spread-out town with no walls or just a bank and ditch.

Hey wow that really looks great

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks great so far. I'll be looking forward to the tutorial...

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected AutumnRain's Avatar

Wow! That's great! Looks like a real city map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Very nice indeed! I particularly like the lay-out itself; it's very realistic. You can really see that interest in architecture.
    Looking forward to updates.

Repped

Thanks everyone. I've done a little more work on it. Well, a lot more, but it just doesn't seem like much because it mostly involves shading and sketching the texture of the roofs of the regular buildings which takes a long, wrist-hurtingly ammount of time. =P

I've still got lots and lots of work to do on it but it now mostly involves the details and some texturing so I'm on to the most fun bit now (making it pretty!). Then I'll need to add a border and title, etc etc.

*edit* A slight update. There's still quite a bit to do but it's starting to look sorta finished. Then it's on to labels and things!
    Last edited by Larb; 02-25-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Adding an attachment

Looking quite beautiful! The roof shading is georgeous. Please, please put in street name labels (good ones) it would really make this map.

It's funny, this looks like a CC City Designer map almost, but better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast