Thread: Avalon

Guild Apprentice

Post Avalon

I started this a few weeks ago but kinda lost interest in it...might finish it up since I put so much time in it though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map14a.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	19283  

Hey that looks nice. Very "Street Map" kind of look.

Seriously, start labelling stuff. Go forth and Cartograph!
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

That is awesome!!! I wish I can even get that far, I have no idea how to start!!

In the beginning was the World, and it was without form, all hills and hummocks, and rivers. And then came the Engineers. And they brought forth upon the World the Grid that there might be Order. And they looked upon the Grid and saw that it was Good. The Pedestrians used the Grid and were happy. But they complaied that the Grid was too slow. And the Engineers brought for the Car, and the Pedestrians were pleased. And then came the Drivers. The Drivers corrupted the Car to make the Traffic, which they used to terrorize the Pedestrians. And so it was that the Drivers begat the Traffic, which begat the Chaos. And so the Engineers brought forth the L-Train and the Subway, that the Pedestrians might be safe from the terror of the CHaos caused by the Traffic of the Drivers. The Engineers brought forth also the toll road and the streetlight that the Drivers Must Obey. The Pedestrians fled to the safety of the L-Train and the Subway and were saved. The Drivers were incensed at the lack of Pedestrians to terrorize, and at the toll road, and at the streetlight. The Drivers rose up against the Engineers, slaying them all. And without the Engineers the Grid failed and the L-train failed and the Subway failed and yeah, even the Cars of the Drivers failed, for they also were the work of the Engineers. And so the world tumbled back into a place without form, all hills and hummocks, and rivers. And then came the Politicians...

Hey! Is this city in your Avalon and Disputed Territories map?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    In the beginning was the World, and it was without form, all hills and hummocks, and rivers. And then came the Engineers. And they brought forth upon the World the Grid that there might be Order. And they looked upon the Grid and saw that it was Good. The Pedestrians used the Grid and were happy. But they complaied that the Grid was too slow. And the Engineers brought for the Car, and the Pedestrians were pleased. And then came the Drivers. The Drivers corrupted the Car to make the Traffic, which they used to terrorize the Pedestrians. And so it was that the Drivers begat the Traffic, which begat the Chaos. And so the Engineers brought forth the L-Train and the Subway, that the Pedestrians might be safe from the terror of the CHaos caused by the Traffic of the Drivers. The Engineers brought forth also the toll road and the streetlight that the Drivers Must Obey. The Pedestrians fled to the safety of the L-Train and the Subway and were saved. The Drivers were incensed at the lack of Pedestrians to terrorize, and at the toll road, and at the streetlight. The Drivers rose up against the Engineers, slaying them all. And without the Engineers the Grid failed and the L-train failed and the Subway failed and yeah, even the Cars of the Drivers failed, for they also were the work of the Engineers. And so the world tumbled back into a place without form, all hills and hummocks, and rivers. And then came the Politicians...
    I am So going to borrow that :p

Perhaps an idea to make some roads a little off? American style cities are totally not what I'm used too, but this seems VERY griddy for even an American city. Not to criticise you, but perhaps a little idea to give the map some areas of interest?

For example, you have a large roundabout on you map, because it is 'out of grid' the eye is immediately drawn to it. Such elements actually add to the grid.

It's like Japanese gardening: Perfection is only attainable by introducing slight imperfections. They will meticulously clean their path, and then go around and toss some leaves at strategic locations... or so I'm told