Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaches of Ardenland

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Default Beaches of Ardenland

Decided to play around with something not antique styled just to take a break.

I liked the way the water came along for the Dark lands map, and was wanting to try that method for creating a more realworld look. I think it works pretty well.

And the best part is, it's extremely simple to do. All i did was take a parchment texture, inverted the colours to get it blue, then played with hue/saturation levels a bit, and added a few layers above where I painted (set to multiply) over the depths, and lightened over the shallows.

Everything else is layer styles, except the beaches, which I did with little fluffy clouds I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to treat the mountains for this one. I started off messing around trying to get something totally different, but fell back on layer styles for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map copy.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	21494  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

looks good!

Now, aside from making a completely immature comment on the shape of some of your landforms, I personally had some trouble realizing that the lighter green was grass, as opposed to a less dense area of the forest. It seems a bit to green. I can understand lush fields, but something about the texture and the color gives the impression that it is forest. I'm not completely sure what the best solution is, but either change the colours used for the grass, or make the forests stand out a bit more. (oh, and I am terribly sorry if that actually is a less dense forest.)

I like the beaches, though eliminating the trees that seem to get cut off at the water might help. I'm interested in how you do the mountains, however, and I think they might help the feel of the map a lot.

woo, thanks for the speedy comments.

The land is nowhere near done, there's going to be a lot of texturework going on before it's done, never fear Thanks for the feedback though, it will get taken into account. You are right, I was thinking of the area being very lush. I tossed in the forests, then played around with the base ground texture a bit before I got tired of working on it, and finished off the water instead.

What i really want to do is figure out a way to get things to look the way I want them to without using layer styles. So far, not going well in that regard.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Looking quite nice alright.

But I'd have to second Rythal's immature comment. *cough* It's not really a problem though, just take a look at the shape of scandinavia.

Other than that it looks really promising.

And the best part is, it's extremely simple to do. All i did was take a parchment texture, inverted the colours to get it blue, then played with hue/saturation levels a bit, and added a few layers above where I painted (set to multiply) over the depths, and lightened over the shallows.
    Heh, reminds me of Wayne's World, the scene where Garth considers a way to connect with Mr. Big's limousine. "It' almost too easy."

Keep going!

~~Rongar

Ok, it took me a few minutes. i hadn't noticed anything odd about any shapes, except that the one peninsula looked a little too rounded (like a 300px brush being used to shape it, HRM.)

Now that's pointed out, i'll have to go and change the shape

My finished maps

Those beaches look really great. Nice start

And since everybody else has said nothing immature, neither shall I

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I will Holy dangling participles Batman.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

yeah yeah
    Hopefully this works a bit better for a land shape without amusing all the inner 12-yearolds

Plus I started on the hill/mountains, I'm considering saying no to layer styles and making it all texturework.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map copy.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	21508  

My finished maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Those mountains are really well done. I'd almost say you were using DAZ or something.

Awesome, man! Just stunning. Looks like something you would see in a professional, top-shelf video game.

You gunna put towns on it later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast