Thread: First Map: Kuris and Surroundings

Guild Novice

Map First Map: Kuris and Surroundings

Well, it's my first official map and I'd like some constructive criticism.
    The map is of some random kingdom that I may use in the future for my dnd game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kuris.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	614.3 KB 
ID:	21621  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks right and properly medieval; nice job, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep, don't know what you could do better on that map. Good stuff!
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wow nice! Is that hand-drawn? if it's not, my brain will explode

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Very cool Hartainia.

It looks very midevil. I find it hard to read a few of the names where they overlap the water but other than that I think it works.

It almost looks like you might have created this on a piece of brown paper shopping bag? Makes me wonder if one of those might actually make for a great paper texture. I agree with Coyotemax it really looks hand drawn which is cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Yep, it ceartainly is hand drawn! I didn't have the software to do it so by hand it was. I did end up running it through Paint.NET though just to clean it up and add 90% of the text (poor handwriting). The paper I used was originally 8x16 artists sketch paper which I cut in half. I then drew the pencil lines in and treated the paper using a tea/vinegar combo and placed it in the oven to dry at 300 degrees. The top edge where I cut was rather ragged so I used my handy lighter to straighten it up. Inked using caligraphy markers. But I'm lazy and just downloaded Gimp so we'll see where that takes me.

Guild Novice

and a big thanks to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete of Hartainia View Post
    Yep, it ceartainly is hand drawn! I didn't have the software to do it so by hand it was. I did end up running it through Paint.NET though just to clean it up and add 90% of the text (poor handwriting). The paper I used was originally 8x16 artists sketch paper which I cut in half. I then drew the pencil lines in and treated the paper using a tea/vinegar combo and placed it in the oven to dry at 300 degrees. The top edge where I cut was rather ragged so I used my handy lighter to straighten it up. Inked using caligraphy markers. But I'm lazy and just downloaded Gimp so we'll see where that takes me.
    I'm looking forward to it!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nicely done, and thanks for the description of how you aged the paper - I've used techniques separately, but didn't think to tea/coffee stain the paper AND acid/heat treat it both at the same time!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."