Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Style

Default Antique Style

This work in progress is the result of a combination of Ascension's, "Antique Style" tutorial and Tear's, "Saderan" tutorial, as well as a few "You Tube" tutorials by Zombie Nirvana. I've attempted to use Tear's elevations, mountains and hills to emulate a shaded relief look.

I have yet to label the geologic features so I haven't merged any of the text layers (from what I've seen, PS7 won't allow me to alter merged text so I've been holding off). I've given a few "city" names an outer glow just to see how it looks and I'll finish that after all of my other labels have been placed to make sure they don't overlap. It bothers me that I haven't included any lakes but I probably won't add them.

Map notes:
    • This map is for a sci-fantasy setting with low populations; it is based loosely on a map I drew in CC2.
    • Neutral Zones are the only international safe havens. Contested Territory, the Hot Zone in particular, are "free for all" areas even for people whose nations are not in a state of war. Most nations enforce a "closed borders" policy to foreigners.
    • Circles mark outpost (italicized letters), stronghold (normal letters) and city (blue outlined letters) locations.
    • Squares represent existing landmarks, man-made and otherwise; blackened squares are ruins. If a landmark is also an outpost/city, then it is shown as a dot rather than a square.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique 3.gif 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	21639  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I do like the shaded relief effect, reminds me of the atlases from grade school

I recall seeing this map before (earlier version in another thread) and thinking to myself that the borders were unusual - the only example I know of where a country is completely enclosed within a single other country is Lesotho surrounded by South Africa (does that even still exist like that?). But your explanations make a lot more sense for this map

Nice! And I can confirm that in ps7 the text layers will rasterize if you merge them. No smart object for that version. (no ability to group in folders either, owch)
    I feel your pain

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks really nice. I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb but she looks done to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Other than the text being a bit difficult to read (due to the hatching), this is quite nice!

Keep up the good work
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's a beautiful map. My favorite is the volcano in Antani.

The only thing I can think of that might need a tweak is the lettering looks a bit fuzzy to me. With my already less than stellar eyesight I think it's the grey highlight behind the black letters that gives me the impression it has been blurred. I leaned towards my monitor as I was looking at this because of it.

I really like the style you have going on here and it does remind one of those popular globes. Good Work!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks everyone for the comments. The fuzzy text annoys me too and bold facing seems to fix it but I can't do that to warped text so I'll have to figure out how to path my text.

Coyotemax: PS7 does allow grouping into sets and that helped minimize clutter.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, the Faux Bold thingy won't let ya warp text so what I do is to put a black stroke (or whatever color your text is) on it to fake a faux bold and still be able to warp it to a path. The caveat is that the fatter the stroke the rounder the pointy bits get so use a small stroke. Strokes also disrupt things like outer glow and drop shadow so if you are using those then duplicate the layer and put the stroke on its own.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that's pretty darn nice! Not meaning to be overly critical here, but to me, the rivers look a little angular, like they don't curve naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, that's pretty darn nice! Not meaning to be overly critical here, but to me, the rivers look a little angular, like they don't curve naturally.
    Thanks; I've got a new mouse so I'll go back and fix those.

Looks really good so far Mrrkyl. I was going to comment on the fuzziness of the font but then I read the other responses an looks like that's been covered. So I have not constructive feedback to offer, just a pat on the back.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast