Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Commission - 3d Experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking really lovely Ravells. The recent close up of those mountains looks great!

Awesome... this thing is looking pretty amazing so far!

I'm really liking the forest bumpmap in your closeup. I'm glad you didn't drop that completely.

What app are you rendering this in? Doesn't look much like Bryce, and doesn't look very much like povray either. I'll just assume it ain't blender...

Wow, thanks, I thought the forest was a bit meh close up. That render was in Bryce 7 (beta), Photoshop CS4 has a built in POVray render engine but I'm just more used to Bryce. I need to do some render comparisons to see. I'm not using any Bryce procedurals for the texturing, it's all painted as a UV map in photoshoshop. I've been following your Illustrator thread (need to put aside some time to read it all, properly) - the Arcgis stuff is just way beyond me, but I'm seriously stuck on the rivers. I rendered a heightmap in Bryce, took it into Wilbur (which I've never used before) just to get an idea of what the rivers would do - I'm just after a black and white image of river positions - because will all the little borrows it's nearly impossible to draw the rivers by eye without them going uphill at some point (it's like a maze). I may just have to fake it by hand....the final render is going to be at a distance so hopefully uphill rivers shouldn't be noticeable...I'm still working my way through the Wilbur (fun with Wilbur) tuts and playing with dials etc to get the rivers to look good, but I think that without doing the model again and having all the land above sea level, it's going to be impossible, (when I made the initial model I just put a sea texture over the sea and didn't worry about non mountain height that much), anyway, I'm blathering now.

Got the forest texture now...the distribution is too bleh, so I'll redo the forests from scratch right at the end, so I can get funky stuff like stands of trees following roads and rivers. I've been putting off the rivers for too long...got to try and get them done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_11.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	681.6 KB 
ID:	21861  

That's really coming to life!
    I can almost see myself wandering the hills and dales....

Nearly there...no time to do the forest redistribution yet, but I think it looks ok with a bit of fiddling - it was a learning process anyhow, lol. I'm making simple heightmap buildings (just cubes)....I don't think they look great...must find a better way. Once the buildings are done, I think it's just about there. This render used a depth of field but it wasn't exaggerated enough, I'll leave DOF out for the future ones I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunday render.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	21896  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast