Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabletia

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map Tabletia

I've had a cold for the past few days so today I felt a little better and finished my hand-drawn map. It was meant mostly as an exercise to practice doing things hand-drawn as opposed to my usual artsy or satellite styles. Always gotta try new and different things, ya know? It was pretty fun although all of the little drawings took way too long to do (draw em big, then shrink em down, and then trace over em). Things on here that I did not do: the font (12th century fancy caps), some really old grunge brushes, the compass (from a brush set here at The Guild), and Coyotemax's parchment.

~A~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabletia-final.jpg 
Views:	2380 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	21658  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Amazing in execution and detail!

very nicely executedl. the fun part will be looking for the easter eggs that i am sure you wiilll find ifyou look hard enough. a nice solid map!
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

This is just great all the way around!

My wife came in and I said, "Hey, take a look at this map."

She totally digs it. She had me scrolling around to the various corners so she could spy out all the little creatures and points of interest. She told me to tell you that a map like that could inspire a story. Believe me man, if she liked it that much it really is fantastic. She is my toughest critic. I always listen to what you guys post on my WIPs and stuff but when I really want t know if something just sucks or not, I ask her. She's not going to pull any punches.

So that's two thumbs up from my household

Absolutely Wonderful!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, gang. Much appreciated and tell the Mrs. thanks, too. Gotta keep the ladies happy or else they won't let you map anymore I just got another idea that I'd like to throw in and re-upload...a lil party of adventurers a la Monty Python and Coyotemax. Maybe I'll make em tokens and people can bop around with em until Sir Robin's minstrels get eaten (and there will be much rejoicing, yay).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is just spectacular. I love the 'drop shadow' line shading, the fading out to linework only at the edges of the map and the sheer wonder of it all.... marvellous. Maps like these must take a hell of a long time to draw, but by golly they're worth it. Absolutely stunning, Ascension - particularly as it was a new style you hadn't done before. I'd love to have that map on my wall.

Great job Ascension. Besides the fact that it's a great drawings and has great color, it's one that really has 'character'. Yet another style added to your arsenal! cheers

Whoa... your skills have improved so much the last couple of years. You are doing truly amazing work nowadays Ascension. Wow!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Had a look through the WIP-thread yesterday, and I absolutely loved it! Nice to see the final result!
    Doodle it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I love the perspective in the eternal fields. That lends a focus to the whole map and really draws the eye. Great colouring and a beautiful level of attention to detail and clean finish. Brilliantly done. The hours you put into this and the determination to get it right really show. Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast