Thread: Joined last year, rediscovered the site last week!

Wip Joined last year, rediscovered the site last week!

I was trying Jonathan Robert's great tutorial over on newbiedm.com and followed the links here. Sample
    I've been gaming for 40+ years. My first board wargame was Bltizkrieg from AH and I remember I specifiically bought that because the map was bigger than D-Day or Iron Cross.

I'm currently using GIMP with a Genius 6x8 tablet and having a ball.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hey there. Glad to have pulled in another with that tutorial. Welcome!

There's no shortage of excellent tutorials on here. I like the maps you've got there so far. Do I see a 4e influence? (the difficult terrain markers are a give-away).

You can post the images directly to here - the site's pretty generous on filesize. When you post a message make sure you're in the advanced view and click the paperclip to upload images. Then they'll be attached to the site and you don't need to worry about keeping your dropbox account consistent forever.

Thanks, I didn't want to plop a huge file down for my first time. Yes, its for 4e. I'm running Thunderspire Labyrinth and I wanted some ruins in a cave to use for random encounters. Any way to downsize large GIMP images so they don't look like a**?

I was looking through the other tutorials, and I didn't see one on making ISO style maps (like Jonathan's Bandit Cave). I'll look through all the ones listed in case I missed it.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Badly kept secret here that I'm also Jonathan Roberts. I should do a tute on that isometric style. I don't think there are any tutes for iso maps here yet. I'd have a look at recent threads by Djekspek or by DevinNight. They've been doing quite a lot in similar styles for a while.

If you're after a true iso map then I'd suggest drawing out the floorplan in plan view to a grid first, then rotating it 45 degrees and shrinking the vertical axis by 57.7% Do the same for the grid. That should give you the basis, then freehand in the details and colour.

As for the gimp files - save it out as a jpg and then open the jpg in gimp. Go to Image->Image size (I think?) and reduce the size to around 2000px or so. Then save as to save a downsized copy. When you use the attachment manager on the forum it will create a thumbnail for you, so no need to worry about that. Throw the large file up and people can see all your work in its full glory!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those look nice. Good stuff. Welcome to The Guild.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Indeed welcome to the guild.

If you made a tutorial on that Torstan I know I would love to go through it. I want to do one of these but it's be absolute ages since my drafting classes. Any direction would help.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'll give your suggestion a go. I need to open that baby up and sign it anyway.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Welcome back TheMarcus7, I like your work so far, looking forward to seeing more of it.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well if I didn't welcome you then, I'll do it now....Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.