Thread: Tiny Village Made With My Finger on Touchpad in MSPaint

Map Tiny Village Made With My Finger on Touchpad in MSPaint

Greetings!

Three or four years ago, I needed a quick reference tool for a tiny village that was becoming the hub of a large GURPS 4e campaign. I had never made a city map (or really any other since I was a young kid) before, but there were so many NPC's and NPC's locations that I had to get them down.

So, I sat down at my old, junky laptop without a mouse and opened up MS Paint and quick as I could, went to town. Pardon the pun. I only used the standard colors, and I never got around to doing anything with the roofs. Some of the buildings are maybe a little too big as I described the scale of the roads as being big enough for two horse-drawn wagons to pass by each other going the opposite way.

I found this forum from a friend on here who makes maps. I'll be posting in the Mapmaking Request section asking for help (on commission), but I told him I wanted four board game game boards similar to the four Dragon Strike boards from the 1993 board game. The boards will need a hex grid. I would like four 20"x20" boards: one of a grassy field intersected by a brook with trees and paths and rocks and a mountain cliff; one cave with tunnels and chasms; one castle tower with rooms; and one village with small, "roof-less" houses. Unlike the Dragon Strike boards, I wouldn't want any doors or much decoration at all. Doors and such will be provided in-game by cardstock "standies."

If you want to suggest any members (including yourself) for the job, by all means PM me!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 06-27-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Fixed link!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's a pretty neat little village there, all the moreso for being done with paint and a touchpad

It may not be photographic quality, but I like it - and I can totally see it being a useable map. A few labels and you're good to go

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks!

It surved its purpose years ago and was fun to draw. Too bad I don't still have the list of what's in all the different buildings/houses.

When I was at Disneyland last summer, I was very inspired by the area around the jungle cruise. I never could capture the feel, partly 'cause I suck at towns, partly 'cause I suck at maps... The thing you have here has a real feel of a dusty town in a jungle. I'm feeling even more inspired.