Thread: Photoshop users: Can you help me to get this tutorial to work?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Photoshop users: Can you help me to get this tutorial to work?

I'm looking for a forest texture for my 3 maps. I remembered a while ago I posted here a tutorial I found on the Cartotalk forum for what must be for me, one of the prettiest forest textures I've ever seen.

I've been trying for a couple of hours to get this effect by going through the tutorial but it just doesn't work. Maybe I'm being thick...maybe the author has left out a step or something...I don't know.

Here is the tutorial. The final effect can be seen in the picture below. Can anyone get it to work?

All help gratefully received!!

You should have a landcover image of forests in solid black color. Convert image to grayscale.
    Create duplicate layer. Select nonforest areas (white) in duplicate layer (Select -> Color range: tolerance 0) and delete them.
    Use Filter->Texture->Grain: Grain type: soft, Intensity 100%, Contrast 50-75%
    Again select remaining black areas with Color range and small tolerance
    Invert select and delete
    Change image colorspace to CMYK or RGB
    Create new Solid Color layer with desired green
    Copy/Paste forest texture layer to the Solid Color layer
    Add Layer Style to that layer: Bevel&Emboss-> Style:Inner Bevel, Technique: Chisel soft, Depth: as you wish, Size 1-2px
    The image is usually to sharp so apply small amount of Gaussian blur to layer (0.5 - 1)
    And that it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lui forest.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	21699