Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eriond: Completed Ascension Style Map

Thanks Diamond and Eilathen. By the way, just on the off chance that anyone is actually interested, I have a campaign site (currently in construction) on the Obsidian Portal where I have posted some details on the history, geography and geography of Eriond. At this point, I've focused almost exclusively on the northeastern region of Mierodran, as that is were my campaign has here-to-fore taken place. Be forewarned though, I tend to be fairly long on detail. There's also other campaign related stuff as on the site as well. Feel free to visit at:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/age-of-legends

Also, the map related info is located in the Index of the wiki page under "geography."

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Arsheesh!

I have decided to have another go at my continent map for the Westerlands using Gidde's tutorial adaptation, but I'm running into some trouble generating the mountains. Did you use the random mountain placement like in Ascension's tutorial or did you figure out a way to "direct" them? When I try to adjust the cloud layer on my own, I always wind up with mountains that ghost into the lowlands instead of actually looking like they're attached. I appreciate any tips you have.

Also, what dimensions did you set for your map? I started mine at 4000px to a side, but ended up reducing it by half because it was really bogging down my system.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The easiest way to get your mountains under control is to use the Lasso tool with a feather of 50, circle up some mountains, then switch to the Move tool and drag them where you want them. OR you could airbrush in some black where you know where you want your low lands to be before doing the lighting effect steps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, so this thread got resurrected huh? Geoff, it's been a while since I made this map but I'm pretty sure I used the lasso trick that Ascension mentioned. I've been experimenting with mountains ever since and have yet to be completely satisfied with the results, so sadly I don't know that I can give you any good tips in that regard. To answer your question though, the map is 2000px by 2000px.

Well, seeing as how this thread got bumped anyway, I might as well upload the newest version of the map that I'm using for my campaign site. Not much different really, I just changed the compass Rose, the border and a few other odds and ends.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eriond Test 7.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	33882  

Guild Applicant

Amazing map. Would love to see more of the world.

Thanks Fipps! Been a while since I did this map. But, since you asked, not long ago I did a World Map of Eriond as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12