Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge (30x30) cave intersection

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You can do it that way, but you can also do it with the drop shadow filter. Make sure you have a selection that includes all the walls and internal walls. Then go to Filter->Shadows (I think)->drop shadow. Play around with the setting and the displacement and that should give you the overall glow.

I messed around with this all day:

• I cleaned up my masks.
    • Stripped out the dropshadow.
    • Added a triplet of texture layers for the interior walls, but eventually just would up stripping them all out again.
    • Layered on the "torstan watercolor shadow" effect.
    • Created a siggy thing. (definately needs work)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three way cavern_plain_walls_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	751.1 KB 
ID:	21867 and for comparison, the original Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three way cavern_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	21868

I think my next project will be a little smaller.

.TM7

All work I post to the Cartographer's Guild is distributable under this Creative Commons license.
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-08-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: CC license boilerplate
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like em both but if it were me I'd put a lil bit o texture on the brown walls. That's also why I'm not much of a painter
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This time sure! Nothin' up ma sleeve! Presto! Acension, your comment made me go back to it and find a decent texture. Then I had to redo all my shadows again.

Name:	three way cavern_new_better_walls_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	792.6 KB 
ID:	21887

What I was trying for is something like this:

Name:	rock_wall.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	21888
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Right right, you might want to increase the scale of the pattern used for the texture and you also might want to lower its opacity so that it isn't so dominating...think subtle. The example there also has a slight bevel on it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ah I begin to see! Select then Filter > Decor > Bevel. Repeat until satisfied. I'm gonna call this one finished:

Name:	Pretty_much_final.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	21911

This has been almost more fun than I can stand

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-07-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Adding final piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12