Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge (30x30) cave intersection

Default Huge (30x30) cave intersection

I made this following the tutorial by torstan over on newbiedm.com. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. The original is at 100ppi so that the 10px by 10px sqares would print out on the inch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three way cavern_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	2261 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	21733

What I was going for was a ruined neighborhood at a tunnel intersection for the labyrinth under Saarun Khel (Thunderspire Labyrinth). Next I might try an underground lake to use for the Cisterns area.

.TM7

All work I post to the Cartographer's Guild is distributable under this Creative Commons license.
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-08-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: adding CC license info

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice. One big issue(for me anyway) is that the crumbling walls don't match the rest of the style, particularly with the drop shadow. The drop shadow makes them appear to float above the floor. One way to get around this is to use an outer glow type effect to have the shadow on all sides, and then perhaps a bit more on the side with no light on a separate layer. Also, I would ditch the existing texture (the GIMP moon footprint) and use the same colors as your outer walls(using a layer mask where you want it to show through. As it is, it breaks the consistency of style with the watercolor hand brushed outer walls and floor for me.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I can see a nice big battle taking place in there. Good map
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Looks like a great place for an ambush! Nice work.

4jfrazierjr:
    Well, Torstan's tutorial agree's with you, but I kinda like the drop shadow on the crumbly walls. I was looking at the poster map for Sceptre Tower of Spell Guard for inspiration, and I liked how their ruined walls looked with the drop shadow. You don't notice it quite so much when its printed. I will however check our your suggestion. I originally used the GIMP walnut texture, but everything was brown, brown, brown and I wanted to add some contrast.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarcus7 View Post
    4jfrazierjr:
    Well, Torstan's tutorial agree's with you, but I kinda like the drop shadow on the crumbly walls. I was looking at the poster map for Sceptre Tower of Spell Guard for inspiration, and I liked how their ruined walls looked with the drop shadow. You don't notice it quite so much when its printed. I will however check our your suggestion. I originally used the GIMP walnut texture, but everything was brown, brown, brown and I wanted to add some contrast.

.M
    If your looking for some good textures, check out Genetica Viewer. It has hundreds of free(non commercial) use textures built in which you can provide some randomization to (including changing the color, brightness, scale, etc) before exporting a final jpg for use in a map. I use it all the time.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. If you go with the drop shadow on the internal walls I'd go with the same drop shadow for the outer walls as well. That should pull everything together.

I like the layout - the walls and the rubble should make for a very interesting battle in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Looks good. If you go with the drop shadow on the internal walls I'd go with the same drop shadow for the outer walls as well. That should pull everything together.

I like the layout - the walls and the rubble should make for a very interesting battle in that area.
    Funny, I was just thinking that. I may try stripping the DS out (its on its own layer, thank the gods) and trying jfrazierjr's suggestion, and I have a layer or a mask or some such that I can use to try the DS on the whole magilla.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: felt like it

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    ... One way to get around this is to use an outer glow type effect to have the shadow on all sides, and then perhaps a bit more on the side with no light on a separate layer. ...
    Anyone got a set of steps for how I'd do this in GIMP? Or is that the Gausian Blur brush work that torstan described in his tutorial on newbiedm.com.

2/4 Well I worked on this again last night, and wasn't that happy with much of what I did. I did check out the Genetica Viewer, however and thats some sweet software. I might install it on a second machine so I can render while I do other things for bit texture panels.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast