Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a map and program I found

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, TG2 uses those similar nodes thingies and loses me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I sent a note to the guy on deviantart asking him to join us here...AND I sent an email to the developer of WM to join us here too...maybe we'll get lucky and open some doors!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

it was fairly cool i remember, its designed to help create realistic worlds for use in games as well (or at least it can ALSO be used for that)...

basically it has modules that you piece together to build up the land... so basically you can add a noise module, attach it to a heavy erode module to get a basic landform, then preform erode in more fine detail to get better rivers etc... the trial works well, but i think its one that only allows you to export in a tiny and bad detailed format (like 800x600 which is really crappy detail)...

i played around with it a bunch a long time ago, so i vaguely remember doing things with it, but i don't remember any specifics.. (i think i was using the first version as well)
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

I know the threat is "old" but are there any news to this program "world-machine"? Has anyone tried the new version yet?

Hi , I have used World machine quite often and I have used it also to fine tune some parts of my map . Its great for making sediment and create much more belieaveable landforms due to erosion etc.
    The only problem for me is that requires lot of work and blocks to prevent the program to mess your original idea of the map shape , couse the preview and results can be very different and also and most important of all World machine is better to be used for "local" maps rather than large scale maps , unless you make lot of composition work after, because its thought for making environments and landscapes to be used usually in game ...
    One example of a map I did with world machine is this :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	issgardrender11.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	98072

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Whaaaaat???? That's awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mask1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	98089  

Guild Novice

Thinking about purchasing the basic version to play with. Would give me a start to building a world I've been imagining for awhile now, atleast for overall layout. Suggestions on the best way to add cities, roads, etc? Didn't see too many options for these in the features list.

Quote Originally Posted by SevasTra View Post
    Thinking about purchasing the basic version to play with. Would give me a start to building a world I've been imagining for awhile now, atleast for overall layout. Suggestions on the best way to add cities, roads, etc? Didn't see too many options for these in the features list.
    For world building a whole world? World machine is not adapt ... Its good for small scale regional environment features, but not really much for huge scale planets ... the best so far I found are fractal terrains and wilbur.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12