Thread: Looking For Border Inspiration

Guild Journeyer

Help Looking For Border Inspiration

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for inspiring map borders. I've been looking through the posts here (and elsewhere) but can't seem to find anything along the lines of what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for inspiration on things that might look dwarven. I've thought about just using one of the various dwarven alphabets or runes, but I wanted something else... Even images people have seen. Something line dwarven stonework or carvings. My Google-fu has failed me, so I'm hoping someone here canhelp me out.

Thanks

Guild Journeyer

No specific map borders yet, but Google for 'ancient dwarf design pattern' seems to give pretty good search results. The next best is 'dwarf stone work' but that's pretty slim pickings.

Hey LE

I wouldn't get too side-tracked worrying about borders too much. These things just tend to happen over time. They kind of grow out of a mapper's style, a bit like the barnacles on the hull of ship

The best way to get inspiration is just to keep looking at all the finished maps and taking note of the things you do and don't like. Even better - make lots of mental notes about how you might do 'this' or 'that' a bit better for yourself.

Guild Novice

On a more comical side, you may try doing dwarves themselves. Perhaps an expedition climbing the sides of the page from top to bottom, a tavern scene across the bottom, and little dwarven cherubs and angels across the top.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks.

Amusing idea SevasTra, but I'm not that artistic! Nice geometric and repeating patterns are my speed I've sketched out a few things. Often based on Celtic patterns, but using more linear elements and less curves. Will let you know what I come up with.

Guild Journeyer

This is what I have come up with. I will probably work on making it look more like aged and cracked stone, but for now I'm happy enough to move on to the actual map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 08-11-17 at 09.45 PM.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	98485