Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a map and program I found

Default a map and program I found

Okay, don't know if this should be here or in software discussion, someone please correct me if i was wrong.

Anyway, I was boredly browsing through deviantART when I came across this map http://magbhitu.deviantart.com/art/B...-Map-151391127 . Once I was able to return my jaw to its natural raised and closed state I chased up on the program that was used to create it, found here world-machine.com . Upon downloading and opening the program I was instantly lost. Does anyone have any experience with this program that can help or does anyone know where some tutorials for this program can be found?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've never been able to make world machine work so I'm in the same boat.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Never tried it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That map looks sweeeeeeeet o:
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok that's funny - that individual at deviant art favourited one of my maps last night, that's how I found the same one you did

I was thinking about taking a look at worldmachine, see what it does and if it's worth considering

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild member Vandy has a couple of threads using World Builder to make Sim City maps. The Splash Damage site has a tutorial on using World Builder to model flow on terrain. Which is way above my head.... makes me feel like I've got a kazoo in my hand and am looking at a full orchestral score for Beethoven's Fifth :-).

For those who can't afford mudbox or zbrush, I found this little toy. I'll try it out as soon as I can get Winders booted up.
    Last edited by su_liam; 02-02-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Decided to actually PUT THE LINK IN

That is a great find! I haven't downloaded it - (I use silo which does all of this for me), but when you do, Su Liam could you tell us a bit more about it, particularly if you can start with a grid primitive and what the export options are like?

Cheers

Ravs

I've been playing around with World Machine, but only trial version. I simply had no $$$ for the full one. But I must sadly admit that I didn't bury through WM enough to help anyone... and it was soooo long ago... I was still on Wingdows these times

Seriously, try reading the help, not just having a look at it. I remember that help files for World Machine were pretty well-written and thorough.
    And have a look at Terragen. With this you can render the maps from WM in amazing quality (use Classic Terragen, 'cause with 2.0 anyone can get lost, I believe).

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast