Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Level City with waterfalls...Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Well, a high-magic city might have streets laid out so that the streets make occult symbols in various places. This could even be a vital element of city defenses.
    Genius!!! Have some rep!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just look at Washington DC, all sorts of masonic symbols in the street layout.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Well, a high-magic city might have streets laid out so that the streets make occult symbols in various places. This could even be a vital element of city defenses.
    Hm, reminds me of the Poeple's Palace in D'Hara in the Sword of Truth series. Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Default The next installment

Had a go at one of the levels. Not that clear in the jpeg, but still kinda cool-looking. It looked better in my CC3 window.

This level is obviously still far from finished, but you can get an idea of how it is going to look. I had originally planned to do lots of rows a attached appartment buildings but they started looking too uniform. So I ended up placing each building individually (so much for my policy of quick and efficient map making). I also put in some odd shaped buildings to show that there is some unusual architecture and also to fit into the sharp angles of rune inspired streets.

Also tried to take on board the comments regarding the cliff shadows.

I think I will have to do something about the roads though. They don't really stand out. They are meant to be cramped and narrow, but they get a bit lost at this zoom level. Maybe I will pave the symbol areas in red.

Anyway this is what I have done lately.

AP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Du Bon lvl 3 WIP Mar 1.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	22476  

Whoa, i stop watching this map for a few days and it becomes this. Great job, repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Repped.

It's all i can say

Looking good!

Yes indeed, that's looking rather nice so far. Really can't find anything to nit-pic about at this point and am looking forward to seeing the finished product as a whole.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thank's for the positive feedback. I'll be working on the lower two levels this week.

Default Latest Update

Slow going. I keep crashing my computer.

I have done some work on the first level of the town. This includes the original settlement and keep. This is the more mundane area of the city, all the early buildings were built without the aid of magic so they are smaller and more conventionally shaped, than the higher levels.

The city area will probably be 20-25 sq km based on the scale of my map. Most of the people live in apartments, so it looks like the population might run to 80-120,000. Considering the city imports so much of its food and other staples, the docks will probably need to be fairly extensive. I'm not sure how much shoreline to devote to the docks.

I imagine that the super wealthy are going to have estates on the top level of the city. There are going to be some whopping mansions on the highest plateau. Considering this does anyone think (from an aesthetic p.o.v.) that I have made the dwellings too small compared to lvl 3?

Anyway, I just thought I'd share the latest fruits of my labours.

AP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Du Bon Lvl 1 and &#50.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	22594  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 03-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast