Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First gimp-made map - "Ankae : the southern kingdoms - "

Looks better than the first version. The text labels could use some antialiasing though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the colors, the dark forests go well with the ocean. I like the waves around that big island, too. Overall, very stylish.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking pretty good there Riffman. I agree with Ascension about the colors you've chosen, they go quite nicely together.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looking good, but with the addition of more bumpiness to your lowlands area, the mountains have lost some of their noticeable texture. As a possible solution, I might double the texture on the mountain bump area only. Or try overlaying multiple bump textures on the mountain area (a technique I've worked on, myself, in part to combat the problem of straight lines that appear in GIMP's native noise generator).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Novice

Wip New version

I know it has taken a long time, but there's two new version of Ankae...same map, with other style...thanks a lot to ramah (for the brushes) and for all the tutorials writer... All comments and advice are welcomed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankae3..jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	23367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankaecolor..jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	23368  
    Last edited by riffman; 03-31-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: I forget to attach the maps...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice, you might consider 'toning down' the overlaying pattern - it makes some of the text a bit difficult to read.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, those are something special, especially the one on the left. I do agree with SG though; the overlaying canvas/weave pattern could be a little lighter.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good, the contour lines in the water are a bit strong, especially in the colored map where the ocean is overpowering the landmass, but good job and nice to see you trying out different styles
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

Wip One more try...

Here is my new version of ankae. I mix elements of the olders version (groud textures and colors from the "sat style", labels and mountains from the "hand-draw"...), and i like the result. I'll add some legends and decorations, and maybe a bit of text about the history and the peoples of Ankae, and it will be almost finished...Any advices?

Name:	ankae4.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	549.9 KB 
ID:	24011  

Guild Novice

It's been a long time since i haven't update my work...so here's the new version of Ankae's Kingdoms...IMHO, the definitive one...

Name:	ankae4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	26577  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast