Thread: Neylann

Wip Neylann

It's been a while, so I figured I'd play around with the Gimp a bit once again. I think it turned out pretty decently, but the coastline needs work, yeah.

One new thing I did was posterize the height map and then detect edges (laplace) to get height lines, which I used to help me decide where to put rivers.

I should get back in the habit of putting names in using InkScape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neylann.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	28593

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree the coastline needs some sharpening up otherwise nice little island
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd use a darker green on the forest but pretty cool stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Yeah, definately darker forest. More forest too? I'm thinking about how much I should tie my forests to the rivers, and how much of the river banks should be covered in forest.

What do you think of the mountains? I was working with the smudge tool to make the ridges, trying to get them to support the rivers I had drawn in already.

I started over and got a much better coast line this time around. Also tried the light-from-the-south-east format you seem to favour. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it can look nice. Will post tonight, possibly.
    Last edited by Alfar; 09-01-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Yup, I like this version a lot better.

Still not sure about the amount of forest, though. I know it's not the same place names, I decided to spend a bit more time to get my WordBuilder app to generate some nice ones.
    I used InkScape for the curvy texts, imported them as a layer into gimp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neylann2.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	28651

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better, I agree ... the mountains are a little smooth - I'd roughen them up a bit, put in some crevices and foot hills and such
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Good feedback, thank you. I'll have to see what I can do about foot hills, not entirely sure how to implement them. Crevices I should be able to handle

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but all the landmasses look as though they are lower than the surrounding water, and the mountains look lower yet - as if all your elevations are exactly reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but all the landmasses look as though they are lower than the surrounding water, and the mountains look lower yet - as if all your elevations are exactly reversed.
    Yes, absolutely. It's the result of my trying out having the light source in the south-eastern corner. It's supposed to be more like a satelite image (of stuff on the northern hemisphere), but it does mess with the eyes when you're used to having light on maps from the north-west. I've had the same feeling with many of Ascension's maps, but it seems I've gotten more used to it by making a map in that style.