Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big dragon axe

Default A big dragon axe

well i was bored, and playing around with inkscape.

i've yet to add legs and arms, and i still want to throw in a bunch of detail, but i was wondering what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon_axe.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	21807  
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, this is a great start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It looks ok, but still doesn't portray the right perception i believe... basically the dragon should be "sitting" on top of the axe's pole, with its wings spread in a curving arc in frong of him (picture reaching out to give someone a hug... hahah thats the easiest way to picture it) so the wings you see are basically the back of the wing as it curves to face you... obviously it wouldn't actually curve, since its an axe, but i believe it have the most useable axe shape... if i could find a way to better explain that pose, that would be cool... also i'm not happy with the head... the head is actually leaning back and blasting into the air, so what you see is the underside of his mouth... i need a good way to illustrate this fact, as is it looks like it should be the "face" of the dragon...

For functionality, i believe this axe would have the same image on both sides, instead of a "top half" with the face of the dragon and "bottom half" with the underside... this would allow the axe to stay thin, and functional as an axe.

I like it, I like it a lot, enough to ask a question... can I talk you into taking a shot at some holy symbols in inkscape?
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

i could be persuaded... are we talking come up with my own? or do you have designs your looking at you want made more real?

some of both... I have 3 done-ish... but could use some serious improvements, and I have a few text descriptions only...

The first is Galiel, very Heronious-sh... a shield with a sunburst... the second is Sarcuborossa (Sara Silvereye) eye of a silver dragon, the third is kalvaro, a flute over a dagger...

I gave up on Mierahlith, an owl's face over a book (except for one group of barbarians, in which the owl is screaming and no book)

I also still have the original inkscape .svgs but it wouldn't let me upload them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Notsonoble; 02-04-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Cool concept! I don't think I've seen that done before.

i'll see what i can do.. but yeah its cool. I try to stay away from gradients, for shading, i hope thats alright, i feel since vectors look pretty cartoonish, doing sort of blocky gradient shading works well.

http://vectortuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/tu...fee/result.jpg <-- done in inkscape... not sure I'd call it cartoonish... out of my league sure...
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast