Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: U-Turn Challenge

That turned out beautiful. Don't forget your WIP tag so it gets picked up in the scraper.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I put the tag in for him.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nifty. You went a little wild with the commas in 19d. The commas after "the" and "now" should taken out. These may be profitably transferred to the following sentence after "lever" and "purpose".

The Caverns description has a mismatch between pronoun and antecedent. It should be "These caverns... Their inhabitants..."

Overall, that's quite clean for this amount of text. The dungeon map is good, I think. It has a few exotic features to make it interesting, but not so much as to make it confusing to use.

*deleted; see below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UTurnFinal.gif 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	22128  
    Last edited by mrrkyl; 02-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.

...fixed post icon since it switched back to WIP - or maybe not. Looks like something an admin has to change

Thank you all for the comments and feedback, especially to rdanhenry for the text proofing. I was concerned that my description of the trap in area 19 would be inadequate. In addition to fixing the text, I emphasized the word, "thief" in 19d just to remind the DM that although Miss Crazy can't remember her name, she hasn't forgotten how to sneak around and surprise her prey. Once upon a time, before my heavy editing, the description for 19a ended like this: "The elemental is aware of its neighbor (see "d") and has grown attached to her, perhaps due to their common bond of madness. Because the woman remains terrified of it, the aerial servant surreptitiously discards its victim's corpses for her to find, and consume."

While trying to make it all fit on one page, I decided to keep my submission PG-13 and removed all of the weird stuff. Best to leave some things up to the imagination.

(I tried uploading the PDF but even when zipped, it exceeds the forum's size limit.)

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	40 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	22133  
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

mrrkyl the tag always has to read ### Latest WIP ### so I fixed that for ya. It has to do with how the thumbnail scraper works...it has to be exact.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    mrrkyl the tag always has to read ### Latest WIP ### so I fixed that for ya. It has to do with how the thumbnail scraper works...it has to be exact.
    I don't know what a "thumbnail scraper" is but thanks!

I really thought I was done with this project but I fixed a few more things: Text has been modified so that emphasized text is more discernible and text associated with the maps has been changed to Times New Roman for consistency. I also learned how to reduce the PDF file size so that will be included too.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	118 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	22162   UTurnChallenge.pdf  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrrkyl View Post
    I don't know what a "thumbnail scraper" is but thanks!
    If you look at the challenge topic then you will see a sticky thread for the challenge thumbnails. There is a script which rips the latest WIP images from the entrants list and forms that page. If there are no new entrants or drop outs then its a one button push now to get that synced with all the new postings - provided that the latest wip tags are all ok. Yours is fine btw.

Aha, that's a really cool feature.

Listing my resources for this project might help others in their cartographic endeavors so here goes:

• Floorplan "sketch": drawn in CC2 (because for me it is faster and more efficient than doing it by hand and scanning it). I took a black and white image of this and used it to create an alpha channel in PS7.
    • Fonts: not knowing how well unusual fonts translate into a pdf, I stuck with the standard ones (Times New Roman & Tempus Sans ITC) except for the "S" below the compass. For that, I used Treasure Map Deadhand.
    • Compass: from "compass pack2" in the download section; layer effects were generously applied
    • Paper creation & texture: ZombieNirvana You Tube tutorials #1 & #2 (my patience for doctoring the edges gave out quickly so don't look too closely!). Additional "aging" was done referencing Ascension's, "Antique Style" tutorial.
    • Creating a brush for the elevation "feet" in the caves: ZombieNirvana tutorial #17 (which also covers pathing) - incidentally, anyone following Ascension's "Antique" tutorial might want to use this method for the mountains, especially if you use a mouse instead of a tablet like I do.
    • PS Tricks & Shortcuts: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=14&t=247294 (why? because using PS without them is like playing Starcraft without a keyboard)
    • Creature references: Monstrous Mamual from the Core Rules CD (flipping through the pages made populating the dungeon painless and if you're unfamiliar with all things DnD then try doing keyword searches for such things as "cave", "guardian", "trap" or whatever suits your fancy)

There is still ample time to submit an entry to the OPDC so I hope my entry serves as encouragement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast