Thread: Hello, nice to have finally joined you.

Default Hello, nice to have finally joined you.

Hello, I my name is Paul, I joined to gather up useful intel that might be of use to me for my modding, I am familiarized (and experienced) with Gimp, I could read tutorials in up to 5 different languages (namely, russian, german, spanish, english and french) and I like painting maps in my little free time that I have as a break between afterschool activities and sports, I like reading fantasy books (especially those specific to only some countries, Laura Gallego for example, she´s spanish and as far as I am concerned she hasn´t had her books translated yet) and I like writing aswell, when I dispose of more time I often do research for some hardcore modding sessions (especially for Oblivion, god bless Bethesda for having made such a beauty) and for hardcore I mean starting a large project and getting friends involved, as for now I have not released a single mod, but I own a large compendium and I share it with my friends, we expect to start really hitting it when The elder scrolls V come out, then we have expected to keep track of the modding progress from the beginning and possibly start creating a whole new province (wich ofcourse is to be planned yet)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome, it is awesome you know so many languages.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow, wish I knew that many languages! Welcome to the Guild Paul, we're glad to have you on board. Since you are using GIMP, there are two GIMP regional map-making tutorials that I feel are "must-reading": RobA's and Gidde's GIMP adaptation of Ascension's Atlas style. Here are the links:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-[Award-Winner]-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4084-[Award-Winner]-My-atlas-style-in-PS/page15

I would also encourage you to check out the wonderful assortment of scripts and plug-ins that RobA has assembled for GIMP, they are simply essentials to map-making in Gimp. You'll have to do a search for them, but here are just a few: "Fractalize Path," "Smooth Path" and "Tapered Stroke Path" (or alternatively "Stroke Path with Taper"). Anyway look forward to your first WIP post.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you very much everyone, especially big thanks to arsheesh for sharing those wonderful tutorials with me, I hope I can soon show you all my WIP map, I got the basic layout for the main playable region, but I still have to do the whole continent, and even other neighbouring continents, I am considering on getting myself some profantasy software, that ofcourse I plan getting on my own budget during holidays (horay for that, i´m 16 soon, that means I can earn slightly bigger money and without being ripped off)