Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kelunia: Reworked

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well, that dotted line brush I've used in just about every single map I've made since you posted it - I use it for everything from borders to roads to trade routes.

And I used your forest brushes right here: http://chanimur.deviantart.com/art/W...eira-149832632

I've been mostly working on the hand-drawn map. First up is some close-ups of some bits of it that I really like at the moment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keluniacloseups.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	21885
    The top two are pictures I took this afternoon. Left: the pine forest (Marceline) and the griffon. Eventually I'll shade all the trees... right now, I'm about halfway done. Right: Khaldun. I'm pretty happy with the way I ended up doing the roads, and the river... well.. I keep thinking it kind of looks like tree bark....

The bottom two I took this morning, but nothing's really changed all that much, so I think it's fine. Left: Alphyns. Although there are some parts of them that I'm not terribly happy about, but I think I did pretty okay considering how small they are. There are some bits I should've been a little lighter with my pen, but... eh. Right: The hydra! He actually looks a bit different now, I added some stippling on him for shadows (you can't really see that in the full map picture so I'll have to take another detail shot later.)

The whole map is looking much better. It was looking a bit flat before.

Name:	keluniabyhand1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	537.7 KB 
ID:	21884

I'm still pondering exactly how to shade the mountains, I sketched out some ideas - I know, they all probably pretty much look the same, heh, but I wanted to make sure shading at a certain angle wouldn't look absolutely awful or something... - I'm not sure whether I want to go with #1, which I thought looked good especially after I added that stippling on the opposite side of the shadow - or #4. I really like the stippling, but I have a feeling it looks a little too smooth. Hmm.

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	21886
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the ones on the left, hatching plus stippling.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

They're both nice, but I actually prefer #4; yeah it's a bit smooth but I think the stipple shadows look great. Anyway that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the ones on the left, hatching plus stippling.
    Ditto for me. I like that combination of techniques.

I might have gone just a bit overboard with the stippling, but some of those big blank areas just look so boring! I still have a couple things to put in... a town here, a tree there... ya know.

Overall, I think it's coming along.

But then I was upstairs today and found my box of art supplies and the giant art pad I had for an art class one time. Including all my nice art pencils and my charcoal.

...After a lot of pondering, I decided it's probably a good thing that I don't have a table in this house big enough to work on something that massive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelunia___traditional_by_StarRaven.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	815.2 KB 
ID:	21983  

Now this looks pretty cool. Looks dramatic and fun at the same time. I really like the thicker mtn line you have in some places...it really helps move the eye around so I'd put in a few more to define the mtn edges some more. I hear ya on the table thing...I've got the space but once I put my face into a big ole blank page I forget to come up for a few days.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks! Where would you suggest putting the thicker lines? I'm sure I had some reason for putting them where they are, but I can't remember it, heh.

Ugh, yeah. That blank page, though. It mocks me.

Here I put heavier lines on the left side where there is a lot of shadows and then I went across the top and bottom to make a big letter C kind of thing (creates a sort of border around the edge to keep the eye from wandering off the page) and then I put a few heavier lines on the shadow side on the mtns running up the middle just very subtly for accent (that part probably needs to be more subtle). Now I just slabbed these on heavily with a 5 pixel airbrush so that you could see em so I'm sure that your line style will go much nicer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	21993  

Oh, yeah! That's a great idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12