Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelunia: Reworked

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Kelunia: Reworked

After quite a bit of work on my story, something about it just wasn't speaking to me. I decided to go back and revise the names of the countries (which I random-generated before) and that, of course, meant I needed a new map! While I was at it, I also decided to hand-draw a map of the areas I specifically needed for my story. So, I guess this is really the story of two maps...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic-001.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	558.2 KB 
ID:	21825
    This is (a bad picture of) the close-up. My scanner hasn't been working properly and my camera doesn't really take very good pictures, but it's the best I could get. I haven't shaded the mountains on this one, either... I'm not quite sure how I should do them. If I just did them in black, I'd lose a lot of detail, and I might have a problem with some of the cities that are located within the mountain's shadows. I also need to figure out a way to ink the roads without making them look like little rivers. I have to say, I'm really proud of those creatures, though. I need to put in maybe one or two more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keluniareworked.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	21826
    This is the full map. I'd like to tell you what that box is reserved for, but... honestly, it was just a lot of blank space.I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. I also need to shade the mountains on this one, but... well, I've just been lazy. I'll get on it.... I'll probably shade them in a lighter color, though, rather than in black.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, both of those are simply fantastic. Beautiful work & repped.

Oohh, now that is just beautiful! I have seen a fair share of antique looking maps, but I really like yours allot StarRaven. The crumpled parchment look is killer, and I dig the hills and trees allot too; looks like they were done with a calligraphy pen. Great job, enjoy some rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Diamond - Thank you!

Arsheesh - Thank you very much! The "crumpled parchment" is actually just a difference clouds layer embossed and then set to overlay. I usually think I overdo it, but thanks for the compliment! The hills and trees and whatnot (actually, pretty much everything on that map...) were indeed done with one of Photoshop's calligraphy brushes. Thanks for noticing!

I love the mountains. I've always preferred this way of making mountains... It looks awesome!. I also like the name of the place
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The "antique" version is very nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very LotR - looks great in the parchment version. s for the inset - perhaps a good location for a compass, scale or legend. Alternatively you could put a blown up detail of one of the towns there?

Nice work!

Aenigma - Thank you! I prefer this type of mountain too. I've never been able to get a top-down view that shows the mountains in a way that satisfies me.... And thanks... I agonized over the names, haha....

Steel General - Thanks!

Torstan - It's funny you should say that! I was thinking of putting in a detail of the city of Zephyra, which is where a great deal of the story takes place. Thank you.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've been meaning to thank you for your brushes again also, StarRaven. I've used them a couple times now to great effect. So thanks!

Diamond - Ooh, that's great to hear! I'm glad you found them useful! Might I ask where you used them? I'd love to see.
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast