Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: the Necromancer's Lair

hehe, moving like a rocket as usual.. what can i say, i love your handdrawn stuff GP and i can already tell this will be an awesome dungeon

Default Next Update

OK, update on the map so far. Its late (well early in the morning) got back from gaming a half hour ago and decided to put in some walls, and the backend of the room. I also decided to shrink the altar area much smaller in dimension - still each tile and mortar is 5 square feet. The black walls are placeholders for now, I plan to hand-draw the walls appropriate to the style with beveled shaped beneath and halo shadows, as usual. I still need to place doors, more stairs on either side of the chapel chamber. The Necromancer Lich resides in that large chamber towards the top right corner, while the chambers below are laboratory and library. I plan to place a chasm with bridge crossing, with switch back trail on opposing chasm wall leading up to more dungeon chambers, to the bottom of the map, then another crossing of the chasm to entry chambers at the start of the dungeon area. The bottom right will contain the title, key and other parts necessary for the One Page Dungeon Contest.

I've decided to make this necromancer really a lich, perhaps like a Mystic Theurge prestige class as both a wizard and a priest. As mentioned above his residence and "office" are is to the right of the Skull Chapel. The skull itself is the lich's phylactery. Within the Skull Chapel is the phylactery skull, guarded on either side by undead skeletal dragons, also the fourteen sarcophagi contains his undead guardians - including four Mummy's with levels in Priest and four Vampires with levels in Wizard (flanking either side of the altar). The six sarcophagi on the southern end of the chapel contain four skeletal warriors and two death knight black guard (center pair of sarcophagi). The open mouth of the skull phylactery is a portal to the Negative Energy Plane. If the lich (yet unnamed) is slain his spirit is whisked into the Skull. Agents will secure an appropriate humanoid bring to the skull altar and cast them into the mouth - draining their life energy until dead, at which point the Lich possesses the sacraficed humanoid and exits the mouth in a new undead body, until slain again.

Lots more to do, but the background story started to develop as I began setting up the over all layout of the entire page, with the resized chapel. I plan to place markers for traps later on.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lich-lair.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	21915  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Looks like another work of art in progress!

Default About a third done...

I think I"m about a third complete with this map. I still need to furnish the residential area east of the chapel. My canyon of blood is done as well. I need to make a necropolis area, trapped hallways, and the front area dungeons then the title block.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	necro-lair.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	21941  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love me some big ole pools o blood and this one's got a bloodfalls to boot...good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Default Stairs, doors and a grid...

Slight update, I added some detailing - created stairs between the Blood Canyon chamber and the Main Chapel itself, as well as a short stairway going from the chapel to the residential area. In case you can't tell, both stairs go upward from left to right. Made the doors kind of a golden color so they'll stand out against the grey and green background. Though I hate grids, I added a grid to the Blood Canyon Chamber.

If any of you recall my "Lair of Lhessadrak" map (which is now called the House of the Dead in the CWBP - in the south parts of the Beast Lands.) I'm going to build a webpage for this entry containing my detailed room key, random monster/traps charts, perhaps a couple new monsters, and stats for the Lich, Lhessadrak. I'm also going to post that old map to represent the structure over this dungeon and post it on that same page. This map in PDF format will have a direct link to that page - as per rules of the other "One Page Dungeon Contest".

The map will still contain simple key, with each chamber named and numbered - as well as number keys in each chamber - as per this challenge's rules.

This is probably it for tonight...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	necro-lair-more.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	21945  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-07-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Last update tonight...

OK, last update for the night. I decided to close up this part of the dungeon, considering it the Inner Sanctum. It will be accessed from the rest of the dungeon via an A-B Portal. Notice the magic circle at the base of the stairs in the Blood Canyon Chamber - this is the B Portal. Since this is a Lich's Lair, the portal is extra nasty to operate. If entering either portal and the person is evil it works automatically without mishap. If neutrally aligned the portal drains one life energy level (Fort DC 25) if saves portal does not activate. If a good being tries to cross, same DC check, but loss of two life energy levels to operate. This makes the adventurers most likely drained prior to entering the Inner Sanctum making it that much more damaging to those adventuring here.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	inner-sanctum.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	21949  
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Filled the top end of the map...

OK, slowly, but surely, I added two more sections to the left of the previously mapped area to fill out the top half of the dungeon design. I have a small cave area containing the A portal to access the Inner Sanctum. Also a small maze like area, I'm calling "cold storage". I might throw in some ice and snow in the corners of the rooms with a few corpses and furnishings. Moving right along.

GP

Name:	necro-added.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	995.0 KB 
ID:	21978  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-09-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Cold storage done and some labeling

OK, I decided to knock out the Cold Storage area with all the intended objects - I have tables, cabinets, blood draining beds, surgical tool shelves, a blood bank, corpses in post mortem operating rooms, a "parts" room, and two failed experiments, as well as a corpse of a Celestial Deva (a recent prize acquisition!) An icy ream is present in several of the rooms to keep the goods from spoiling.

I plan to do this level of detail in the residence, library and lab on the far right side of the man (still to do yet.)

I started labeling the main sections, I think this will help make it easier when I finally get to designing the title block and map key.

Progress moving forward - about half done.

GP

Name:	lair-labels.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1,005.8 KB 
ID:	21992  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-09-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Does the red 'S' indicate a secret door? If so, what makes it useful? It seems that you can reach all the parts of that area without needing to discover that entrance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast